Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 9:56 pm

I don't know when I started doing it, it was sometime in elementary school though, probably 4th grade. It was my special interest for a while, I learned quite a few models and I would make them in all my classes instead of taking notes or doing my work. I would often give them to the teachers afterwards, it made them less likely to get mad at me for it :lol:

I stopped doing it as much once i got to my sophomore year in high school because the teachers didn't tolerate it as much, but I still continued to do it regardless. Even in my senior year I remember one time I was making paper claws in my AP calculus class, and I proceeded to put them on all my fingers and stroke my face with them. When people asked I told them I was Edward Scissorhands :D

- Sherlock Holmes

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 1:08 am

i remember being introduced to it in third grade by my teacher (who i also had second grade with), she gave me a half used fold-a-day calendar, with the occasional culture reference that i would not understand until years later when i looked at it again.

i did become obsessed with it, naturally, folding every scrap of paper i got into creatures, mostly various kinds of birds as i was obsessed with them in elementary school when i folded a lot. i collected lots of books, both from stores and the school library. Robert J. Lang was one of my favorite connoisseurs of the art and i had many books from him. one of my favorite books was a gift from my PE teacher called The Buck Book by Klutz, it specialized in dollars and dollar shaped bills an even came with a dollar, "Instant Rebate!" :D it had instructions on how to make a dime-ring out of it, among others and the only one i really memorized was one to fold a peacock.

while i still keep most my books i have not done it as much since i entered 7th grade, have got into other interests but still i'd really recommend it to anyone.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 3:16 am

I know how to make some interesting things out of a square piece of paper.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 9:23 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
one of my favorite books was a gift from my PE teacher called The Buck Book by Klutz, it specialized in dollars and dollar shaped bills an even came with a dollar, "Instant Rebate!". it had instructions on how to make a dime-ring out of it, among others and the only one i really memorized was one to fold a peacock.

Oh, I have a couple of those Klutz books----they're FABULOUS----EXCELLENT instructions!! ! I've seen that oragami book, as well, and always wanted to get it, but figured I wouldn't have the patience. I've always admired people who can do it, too. One time, when I was waitressing, a lady made me a rose out of a napkin----it was VERY COOL!! I'd like to make flowers.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 12:39 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i remember being introduced to it in third grade by my teacher (who i also had second grade with), she gave me a half used fold-a-day calendar, with the occasional culture reference that i would not understand until years later when i looked at it again.

i did become obsessed with it, naturally, folding every scrap of paper i got into creatures, mostly various kinds of birds as i was obsessed with them in elementary school when i folded a lot. i collected lots of books, both from stores and the school library. Robert J. Lang was one of my favorite connoisseurs of the art and i had many books from him. one of my favorite books was a gift from my PE teacher called The Buck Book by Klutz, it specialized in dollars and dollar shaped bills an even came with a dollar, "Instant Rebate!" :D it had instructions on how to make a dime-ring out of it, among others and the only one i really memorized was one to fold a peacock.

while i still keep most my books i have not done it as much since i entered 7th grade, have got into other interests but still i'd really recommend it to anyone.

I don't remember how I started doing it, but I do know that I was pretty obsessed with it for a while. I got all kinds of books like you, I folded pretty much anything I could figure out how to fold. Mostly just animals as a kid. More recently (in high school) I learned to fold a complex rose (it's called the Kawasaki Rose), and I like to use red and gold foil paper to make it. It looks pretty amazing using that :D

Probably the weirdest thing I made was an elephant... I folded it with towels (1 bath towel and 1 hand towel) when I was 10. My mom thought it was so cool she took a picture, maybe she still has it...

- Sherlock Holmes

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 2:45 am

I don't know how to make much else apart from cranes. That said I've made several sets of 1000. ATM one set is in a fishbowl near my phone and the others are on strands of string and hanging in my bedroom.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 12:59 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Oh, I have a couple of those Klutz books----they're FABULOUS----EXCELLENT instructions!! ! I've seen that oragami book, as well, and always wanted to get it, but figured I wouldn't have the patience. I've always admired people who can do it, too. One time, when I was waitressing, a lady made me a rose out of a napkin----it was VERY COOL!! I'd like to make flowers.

i've got some other klutz books too, i really liked the humor in them when i had them..and yes, excellent straightforward instructions!
ooh i've never seen a rode made of a napkin, but plenty of thanksgiving turkeys and roseBUDS!

L_Holmes wrote:
don't remember how I started doing it, but I do know that I was pretty obsessed with it for a while. I got all kinds of books like you, I folded pretty much anything I could figure out how to fold. Mostly just animals as a kid. More recently (in high school) I learned to fold a complex rose (it's called the Kawasaki Rose), and I like to use red and gold foil paper to make it. It looks pretty amazing using that :D

Probably the weirdest thing I made was an elephant... I folded it with towels (1 bath towel and 1 hand towel) when I was 10. My mom thought it was so cool she took a picture, maybe she still has it...

kawasaki rose...dear lord i've not put my hands to folding in quite a while, looks like it would be really hard for me so make such a complex little paper flower but you've got it down since you've been doing it for so long. :wink:
i did lots of animals too, (i enjoyed doing snails) but i remember in elementary school, fourth or fifth grade looking at a book with all these complex folds, violists, guitarists, and a t rex head to boot! i was stunned but i've never gotten around to seeing that book ever since. :?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 7:31 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
but i remember in elementary school, fourth or fifth grade looking at a book with all these complex folds, violists, guitarists, and a t rex head to boot! i was stunned but i've never gotten around to seeing that book ever since. :?

Do you remember what that book was called?

- Sherlock Holmes

skysaw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 4:45 pm

Learning origami has been on my to-do list for ages.
I used to like it when I was a kid. One time I was improvising with a bit of paper when I somehow made what I thought was a near-perfect triceratops head, but the next day my mother threw it away believing it to be a piece of wastepaper. :(

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2014, 11:34 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
but i remember in elementary school, fourth or fifth grade looking at a book with all these complex folds, violists, guitarists, and a t rex head to boot! i was stunned but i've never gotten around to seeing that book ever since. :?

Do you remember what that book was called?

not really unfortunately. :?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:15 am

I've done it off an on over the years, have quite a few books on it actually. I liken it to cooking in that you can teach yourself how to do it from a book and get quite good at it with a little practice, but it takes years to master. It also has a similar 'something from nothing' dynamic that I enjoy.

xMistrox
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jan 2015, 6:21 pm

The book you're remembering is "Origami in Action : Paper Toys That Fly, Flap, Gobble, and Inflate" by Robert Lang (of langorigami.com ). Robert is one of my favorite origami designers.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 7:49 pm

^^YES!! it was that one.

thank you!

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2015, 8:37 pm

Interesting 'origami trivia':

Many of Japanese designer Issey Miyake's pieces are based on the principle of one piece of material folded.

It's his tribute/nod to the art of Origami.

:)