Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

FrostBender
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2024
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 185
Location: Pacific Northwest

11 Jun 2024, 1:18 pm

It sounds like a lot of people here don’t like him. Wouldn’t you want to be successful like he is? I don’t get it.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,684
Location: Houston, Texas

11 Jun 2024, 1:25 pm

He's a "free speech absolutist", which MAGAs and other far-right populists love because it means they can cyberbully or otherwise post hateful rhetoric about groups they don't like.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!


FrostBender
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 18 May 2024
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 185
Location: Pacific Northwest

11 Jun 2024, 1:28 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
He's a "free speech absolutist", which MAGAs and other far-right populists love because it means they can cyberbully or otherwise post hateful rhetoric about groups they don't like.

Yeah but you don’t really have the right to not be offended by someone else’s speech..



Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,056
Location: AspinatorLand

11 Jun 2024, 1:29 pm

His close friends are the Trump family; he likes to pal around with Jared Kushner. Just last week he held a fund raiser for Donald Trump.



BillyTree
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Oct 2023
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 570

11 Jun 2024, 3:26 pm

FrostBender wrote:
Wouldn’t you want to be successful like he is? I don’t get it.


You can't dislike a successful person if you want to be successful yourself? Or a famous actor if you are an inspiring actor yourself? Or a handsome man if you try to be good looking yourself?
What kind of nonsense is that?!
That said, I don't hate Elon Musk. But I disagree with his political views and some of his actions.


_________________
English is not my first language.


LittleBeach
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2024
Age: 37
Gender: Female
Posts: 252
Location: UK

11 Jun 2024, 3:39 pm

I disagree with the way he ruthlessly fires employees. In my view a company should be a supportive team effort, and firing people impulsively is cruel and unnecessary. I would never like him as a person for this reason alone.



blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jun 2011
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,787
Location: United Kingdom

11 Jun 2024, 3:42 pm

He seems like an under-qualified billionaire. Listening to him, he come across as a bit out-of-touch.



Nades
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 8 Jan 2017
Age: 1933
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,892
Location: wales

11 Jun 2024, 3:49 pm

I like him. I dislike his who "brand" and most of the stuff he's made but he's the more interesting of the super rich.

Spotted his starlink satellites overhead on the weekend and you can't help but be impressed.



honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2020
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,145
Location: 1Q84

11 Jun 2024, 4:01 pm

He's abused Grimes ( a singer that he has had multiple children with) and doesn't allow her to see her own son.


_________________
dear god, dear god, tinkle tinkle hoy.

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?


Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

User avatar

Joined: 30 Oct 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 66,754
Location: Over there

11 Jun 2024, 4:12 pm

Nades wrote:
Spotted his starlink satellites overhead on the weekend and you can't help but be impressed.
Huh, ask an astronomer what they think of 42,000 low orbit satellites (when/if completed) polluting the night sky. :x

Also, it's a ridiculous idea poorly implemented -


_________________
Giraffe: a ruminant with a view.


stevens2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2009
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 158

11 Jun 2024, 4:35 pm

It's not that I don't like him, exactly. It's just that I've learned in my long life that people who tend to suck up all the attention (and money sometimes) are bad for autistic people like me, when we shine too much light on them or waste too much of our precious time making them even bigger, as the forgotten become even more obscure. In other words, Musk has enough attention. And, especially, he doesn't need to hog any more popularity whether it's deserved or not.



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,084
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

11 Jun 2024, 5:03 pm

For one thing, he's racist and antisemitic, and he's spread misinformation about Covid 19.

Second, just someone is successful doesn't mean we have to like them. In fact, almost everything I like was created by awful human beings that should be in prison. :(



lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 50
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,084
Location: Lost on Earth, waddya think?

11 Jun 2024, 5:07 pm

FrostBender wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
He's a "free speech absolutist", which MAGAs and other far-right populists love because it means they can cyberbully or otherwise post hateful rhetoric about groups they don't like.

Yeah but you don’t really have the right to not be offended by someone else’s speech..


I think we do have the right to be upset when others abuse their right to free speech. Like when they use it to be racist, ableist, ageist, homophobic, misogynistic bullies.



bee33
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Age: 60
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,527

11 Jun 2024, 5:26 pm

His wealth alone makes him despicable. People who hoard enormous wealth are a huge detriment to the rest of mankind. Some try to also do some good with it, like Bill Gates, but Elon Musk has done very little that was not for his own benefit and his own self-aggrandizement. And as a person, he's extremely arrogant and self-congratulatory, which I could forgive if it wasn't for the harm he's done.



DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2021
Age: 45
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,757
Location: Dorset

11 Jun 2024, 5:35 pm

I don't hate Elon, but he's a product of an environment that I dislike. One that assumes because a person is very wealthy, they must be very clever and we should pay particular attention to their opinions on everything.

Elon has his talents, the main one I can see is knowing how to make expensive technologies more affordable. He is smart/rich enough to surround himself with clever people.

But I don't think his opinion on matters of sociology or politics or history should have any greater weight than your average pub bore.


_________________
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 2150 character limit.


Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Jul 2020
Age: 69
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,450
Location: U.S.A.         (Mid-Atlantic)

11 Jun 2024, 5:36 pm

Musk says he is on the Autism Spectrum. That sounds reasonable to me. His special interest could be to develop large companies based on advanced technology (like Edison, Tesla, Gates, etc.).

And Musk is rich. He is rich enough that he can pretty much do whatever he wants.

Are his Autistic traits unconstrained because of his wealth?


_________________
When diagnosed I bought champagne!
I finally knew why people were strange.