The Brain...how does your brain treat you?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

OA_
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2007, 5:36 pm

I have copied the below paragraphs from a previous thread as the topic was different and I would like other peoples ideas on how they think the brain works, or anything about it really. How does your brain work, or not work? ;-)

I saw a program the other day about the brain, where some studies were done in America, on brains of pathological liars in comparison to those who aren't pathological liars.
They found that the brains of the people who lie have more white matter in their brains than people who do not pathologically lie - that in fact they were in 'layman's terms', wired for lying (a side note for any who are interested)

Speaking of brains - savants purportedly do not have a Corpus Callosum (deep in the brain, the Corpus Callosum connects the different hemispheres, it is a thick bundle of nerve fibres through which information is passed between the left & right hemispheres of the brain) - MRI tests have revealed this.

Years ago some people who were suffering from severe epilepsy (and stated they would rather die than continue having their constant and severe seizures) participated in an operation that severed the Corpus Callosum - to hopefully localize the seizures instead of having generalized ones that involved both sides of the brain.
It was thought if they cut the 'connector' (or Corpus Callosum) of the hemispheres then the seizure would be localized to one half of the brain and help the patient, if not completely stop the seizures all together.

When they did cut the Corpus Callosum, it was discovered that though the seizures did diminish, and in some people stopped completely, it opened up a new series of problems/issues & questions.

There were times when some people were not able to control certain parts of their bodies (for example 'alien hand' where people have reported waking up strangling themselves with their own hand, yet not known why it is happening, or be able to stop it).
As well as some not being able to distinguish between simple objects (for example a test was done with one subject, who sat at a table that had a partition between herself and the lab assistants on the other side of the table, so the woman was not able to optically view what was going to be placed into her hands. The woman put her hands through specially made holes in the partition, and a piece of plastic in the shape of a circle was put into her right hand by one of the lab assistants. Although the woman 'felt & thought' she knew what it was, she was wrong in her verbalized answers and guesses. Then the object was placed into her left hand, and immediately the woman knew it was a circle, and stated so).
It has been described 'like having two different brains' inside the one skull.
Here's a link that may give more clarity and/or information to any who are interested:
http://www.indiana.edu/~pietsch/split-brain.html

Cheers

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 5:47 pm

Split Brain Patients, we went over that in psychology. I took that instead of some other social studies class.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 8:18 pm

I believe this is one of the theories about AS is that there are less connections between the two hemispheres but it doesnt show up in a MRI,which makes no sense to me.

The brain is a fascinating critter.It has a mind of it's own... :wink:

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

OA_
Raven
Raven

09 Mar 2007, 9:29 pm

krex wrote:
I believe this is one of the theories about AS is that there are less connections between the two hemispheres but it doesnt show up in a MRI,which makes no sense to me.

The brain is a fascinating critter.It has a mind of it's own... :wink:

Very interesting you should mention that. After learning about savants behaviors, nuances, habits and predispositions, there seemed to be many similarities between them and people with AS.
An AS friend of mine told me that savants are on the autistic spectrum.
Why this doesn't show up in an MRI is something I too would like to know.
If you ever find out, please pass the information on to me :-)

The inner voice in the mind, is not easy to control - if anyone has any advice on how to quieten that down, please, spill it... :P

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2007, 9:51 pm

I remember watching a program about the "split brain" in psychology class back in the 1980s. It was very interesting.

Kim Peek has "agenisis of the corpus collusum." I recently saw a story about a girl with a rare form of dwarfism who also had this condition. She doesn't have savant characteristics, although her speech is severely delayed.

OA_
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2007, 3:15 am

9CatMom wrote:
I remember watching a program about the "split brain" in psychology class back in the 1980s. It was very interesting.

Kim Peek has "agenisis of the corpus collusum." I recently saw a story about a girl with a rare form of dwarfism who also had this condition. She doesn't have savant characteristics, although her speech is severely delayed.

I have not heard of "agenisis of the corpus collusum" before, or Kim Peek. Thank you for the information, I will do some research into it and learn something new :-)

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 6:33 am

OA: I can quiet my voices by the internal use of music. I just get the brain working on something else.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2007, 6:39 am

I don't think I could ever have 2 brains. They wouldn't fit inside of my head.