Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 10:37 pm

Is it okay to think about suicide? I have attempted it several times with no success. If I tell anyone they call the police and they lock me up in a hospital. Why is the thought of suicide so wrong? I have a hard time understanding what I'm felling and it causes me to no want to live sometimes. I would never actual kill myself because of my animals but it does not stop the thoughts of it.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 6:03 pm

I've had one serious suicide attempt which landed me in two hospitals - the first one to empty my stomach and the 2nd one for a 2-month rehab.

I don't know if feeling depressed to the point of suicide is normal but I do hate the feeling. It attacks me regularly and cripples me to the point of weakness.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 7:51 pm

Deb1970 wrote:
Is it okay to think about suicide?

Isn't it true that the thought of suicide is an effect of something that is not okay? The thought, as an effect, cannot be wrong as such, but suicide is in most cases not the answer to the question of how to deal with the underlying cause.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 2:12 am

I knew somebody who blew off a part of their face with a shotgun, when his attempt went wrong. he survived but was maimed. a person should not be driven to such desperate measures with such unpredictable poor results. a more humane society would do its best to make its members feel welcome but failing that give them a gentle exit. it has been said that the basic reason a person ends it prematurely, is because they just don't know how to live. IMHO, a more humane society would do its best to teach that person how to live. we'd have a lot fewer suicides if our society was that evolved.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I knew somebody who blew off a part of their face with a shotgun, when his attempt went wrong.

It is not uncommon to flinch when pulling the trigger, possibly due to not being fully committed. This can result in severe facial trauma and/or brain damage.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:59 pm

have attempted suicide a few times also. I have found now that others in my family are coming to me when they have similar thoughts instead of condemning me for what I have done. I no longer think of suicide any more. Now it feels like I think of death constantly, waiting for it to take me at any moment. Even hoping for it. This life, to me, is like death already.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:03 pm

I don't know how to properly respond, but I'm nonetheless sorry to hear that.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 10:13 pm

khaoz wrote:
have attempted suicide a few times also. I have found now that others in my family are coming to me when they have similar thoughts instead of condemning me for what I have done. I no longer think of suicide any more. Now it feels like I think of death constantly, waiting for it to take me at any moment. Even hoping for it. This life, to me, is like death already.

the eastern religions don't refer to earth as a "hellworld" for nothing. but we are all here for a reason.

N8than
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Nov 2014, 4:01 pm

I once heard, that Buddhists believe Life is suffering, but that really only helps me understand why i do things for for others. I constantly think of no longer being alive. I get it; that life feels like death.

I think its strange that we have the "right to live" but you talk about the inevitable "right to death" and others seem to get upset aboot it.

andyfzr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Nov 2014, 8:20 pm

Ive thought about it many times but I couldn't imagine not getting it right first time so Ive really sat it through and just not had the balls to go through with it yet cos I know it will be a one way trip. I still toy with it most days but i try and take my mind off things and scramble my thoughts. I just keep telling myself things will pick up but they rarely do.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm

I have attempted once when I was 15 tried to overdose but since that was taking a long time gave me plenty of time to think about it and then be afraid it would actually work so ended up admitting it to a couple friends I had at the time who watched me and then ended up telling the teacher what was going on which was a good thing for them to do I imagine, and have thought about it multiple times since than...twice it was bad enough I went to the ER and was admitted in the psych ward, because I couldn't be sure I would not make some sort of attempt. I do not think the thought about it in itself is 'wrong' don't really think it is much about right and wrong anyways. Due to my mental problems sometimes I feel so terrible it really looks like the only real solution, does bother me since I worry about things setting me off and sending me in some depressive downward spiral and if I act on it before letting anyone know....its a strange feeling of being kid of afraid of myself.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 9:00 pm

at 13 I stuck a rifle in my mouth once, loaded and cocked, but was interrupted by my parents.

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

24 Nov 2014, 11:04 pm

N8than wrote:
I once heard, that Buddhists believe Life is suffering, but that really only helps me understand why i do things for for others. I constantly think of no longer being alive. I get it; that life feels like death.

I think its strange that we have the "right to live" but you talk about the inevitable "right to death" and others seem to get upset aboot it.

It is a common misconception that Buddhism says that "life is suffering". It is actually a misundrstanding.

http://www.buddhanet.net/cbp1_f6.htm

N8than
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2014, 11:57 am

It is a common misconception that Buddhism says that "life is suffering". It is actually a misundrstanding.

http://www.buddhanet.net/cbp1_f6.htm[/quote]

Actually that describes what I was talking aboot AND how I feel aboot it as well. It would be naive to think that all life is suffering, the next part of my statement said "but that really only helps me understand why i do things for others" which may be a simple but cryptic acknowledgement of the general Idea.

Thank you for the link, very informative

not to be negative but your the victim of misconception by saying "It is a common misconception that Buddhism says that "life is suffering"." because it actually does say it.

You are Right when you are making sure that i do interpret the Texts correctly