Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 12:09 pm

Hypothetical Situation: Someone punches you, knocks you down, and the runs away before you can get up. What do you do?

If you're like most reasonable people, you will probably report the incident to the police.

Yet, when a cop shoots a kid in Missouri, someone else shoots two cops in New York and calls it "Revenge". What kind of effed-up reasoning is that?

Or if a Syrian pilot fires a missile that takes the life of an ISIS leader, why does some Al Shaboob feel justified in throwing a grenade into a classroom full of kids as an act of "Revenge"?

If I am going to commit an act of vengeance, it will be directed against the person(s) who did something bad to me, and not to some stranger from the other side of the country. Also, I am offended when someone else commits a vengeful act on my behalf - it's as if they were only waiting for an excuse to hurt someone, and they are using me as that excuse.

What do you think? Should vengeance be taken only by the injured party (if at all), and only against the person(s) who caused the injury? Or should anyone be justified in taking it upon themselves to commit an act of vengeance on behalf of the injured party, and against others who had absolutely nothing to do with the original injury?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 12:44 pm

It's in the media, if that media would cover every killing between your house and there, it would look a bit different. And how to know what is true ?
But hélas, war is in the air and warmongerers are everywhere.

Pizzagal3000
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Dec 2014, 12:47 pm

Fnord wrote:
Hypothetical Situation: Someone punches you, knocks you down, and the runs away before you can get up. What do you do?

If you're like most reasonable people, you will probably report the incident to the police.

Yet, when a cop shoots a kid in Missouri, someone else shoots two cops in New York and calls it "Revenge". What kind of effed-up reasoning is that?

Or if a Syrian pilot fires a missile that takes the life of an ISIS leader, why does some Al Shaboob feel justified in throwing a grenade into a classroom full of kids as an act of "Revenge"?

If I am going to commit an act of vengeance, it will be directed against the person(s) who did something bad to me, and not to some stranger from the other side of the country. Also, I am offended when someone else commits a vengeful act on my behalf - it's as if they were only waiting for an excuse to hurt someone, and they are using me as that excuse.

What do you think? Should vengeance be taken only by the injured party (if at all), and only against the person(s) who caused the injury? Or should anyone be justified in taking it upon themselves to commit an act of vengeance on behalf of the injured party, and against others who had absolutely nothing to do with the original injury?

That is not revenge. That is idiotic to get people that didn't harm me in anyway.

My revenge would be "Kill Bill" style so to speak. I mean sure it was very unrealistic. But the idea of getting back people who did me wrong really excites me and the thought of having satisfaction from it is more valuable than gold.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 1:45 pm

everything is an illusion
nothing is real, just sources of confusion

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 1:56 pm

In psychology, this is called "displacement." It's an immature, unhealthy defense mechanism. When a victim directs their aggression at an innocent target, they are displacing their emotions.

This displacement can be transferred from one victim to another:

For example, a man is angry with his boss, but he cannot express this (for fear of losing his job) so he hits his wife. His wife then hits one of her children or yells at him for something small and insignificant. The child suffers from the abuse and becomes depressed.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 2:26 pm

I agree 100%. If someone hits me and runs away, I'll go after him and punch him and kick him. no way will I ever, never take it out on someone who has nothing to do with it.

people who do this are just psychopaths looking for an excuse to take it out on someone. they don't really care for the person in whose name they're killing an innocent person, sometimes a kid. They don't really do it for the sake of the injured person. Just using him as an excuse when they couldnt care less.

Children who were abused have no right to abuse other children, or their own. This is another form of "revenge" that will be justified only by the twisted and sick minds. Those terrorists who shoot children in the name of the 'injured' party should be put against the wall and shot.

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 2:56 pm

Pizzagal3000 wrote:
Fnord wrote:

That is not revenge. That is idiotic to get people that didn't harm me in anyway.

My revenge would be "Kill Bill" style so to speak. I mean sure it was very unrealistic. But the idea of getting back people who did me wrong really excites me and the thought of having satisfaction from it is more valuable than gold.

Agreed! Me too. It'd be great fun to get back at someone who hurt me intentionally.