Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Bug.Z
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Mar 2015, 9:05 pm

Any of you guys ever make sushi before? I did today for the first time since I was a kid. Turned out pretty good. Made salmon, spicy salmon, and unagi. I'd love to hear other ideas for sushi fillings I can try to make. :D

chagya
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2015, 10:09 pm

The filling for sushi is rice. Raw fish I always thought was sashimi. Korean version sushi would be sea cucumber, egg, carrot, spinach and crab meat

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 10:35 pm

Tuna, octopus, prawn, squid and salmon roe are common sushi ingredients. They could all be raw. Octopus, prawn and squid can be cooked and cooled. If you are eating them raw, you have to buy those ingredients, specifically sold to be eaten raw. Otherwise, you might get food poisoning.

"Sushi" can include sushi rolls (with dry seaweed) but usually it refers to sushi rice firmly shaped into a long, oval form with a piece of sliced fish on top of it (more specifically nigiri-zushi). Sushi rolls are usually called norimaki (rather than "sushi" although it is a type of sushi). Sashimi usually refers to raw fish by itself without rice.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 11:23 pm

I've tried to make vegetarian sushi. I whimped out when it came to using raw fish. My vegetarian sushi came out fine, but not great. The taste was fine, but they didn't look very pretty at all. I tried a few more times and basically produced the same thing.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 11:28 pm

I live in a post-caveman environment, so fire for me.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 12:07 am

I make vegan sushi with rice, sesame seeds, carrots, green onions, and baked tofu, sometimes raw spinach as well.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 4:20 am

For vegetarians, cucumber rolls, dried daikon radish rolls, fermented soy bean rolls, dried Japanese apricot rolls, dried gourd rolls etc are genuine Japanese recipes (as opposed to foreign-invented ones).

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 5:27 am

I would be too afraid to try making my own, I'd rather just trust a professional (though I'm sure even safety there can be dubious).

Bug.Z
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Mar 2015, 1:58 pm

There is an Asian market within walking distance of my house and they sell sushi grade raw seafood. Verry expensive compared to regular seafood, but safer.

I won't be buying unnagi again though, it is apparently pretty endangered! Yet sold as food? That hurts my brain a little bit.

I also tried making making with salmon and capelin roe, really really delicious with spicy mayo sauce(better than it sounds).

f9
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Mar 2015, 2:38 pm

Sushi is normally not made at home.

Only temaki (rice and filling rolled into cone-shaped nori seaweed) is made at home.
I mean, in Japan.

Sushi is palm-size rice balls with a slice of fish on them.

Temaki can have any ingredients, I love crab (or it's substitute) and mayo as well as any raw veggie fillings. I'd not risk with raw fish as I don't know how to make sure it's safe to eat raw - and fish can go off in a few hours!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2015, 7:53 pm

I'm not fond of fish even when it's cooked.

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2015, 6:49 am

I can make basic norimaki sushi. And by basic I mean chicken/tuna/salmon, avocado and Japanese mayonnaise. Still tastes nice.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)