You learn something new everyday: what did you learn today?

Page 126 of 142 [ 2257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 123, 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129 ... 142  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 2:57 pm

that even with the best of intentions ..you can,t always get the help you need ....
and self
sufficiency sometimes can only go so far . And am not so good at being a quitter.

where ever you go ,there you are

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2022, 4:04 pm

temp1234 wrote:
That some common types of cheese cause cancer. You had better stay away from cheese.

Everything causes cancer these days. :roll: And I'm pretty sure cheese is still safer than cigarettes.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2022, 2:25 pm

There was an American psychiatrist in the 1920s who developed the unshakable belief that all mental illness was caused by untreated infections, since people delirious with high fever from an infection often act irrational or hallucinate. So he would treat his patients by removing their teeth, whether they were really infected or not. If that didn't work, then he'd remove their tonsils or drain their sinuses. And if *that* didn't work*, he'd move on to removing other parts like ovaries, testicles, the spleen, the stomach, and many more. In those days the post-op mortality rate was high, many patients died from infections (irony), and in spite of their mental condition the patients were often very rationally afraid of the surgery and would be forced against their into the operating theater.

Looks like the good doctor was a few Cheerios short of a bowl, himself. 8O

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 4:13 pm

That Band-Aids now come in different shades of brown to match people with darker skin tones.

I'm white, and Band-Aids have never matched my skin tone. Wonder if they'll come with "pasty-faced anemic" color?

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2022, 7:40 pm

...that bread causes cancer.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 10:27 pm

If you want something done, you have to do it yourself even if you don’t like it.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2022, 11:06 pm

Ring Pops were invented in the 1970s by a man who wanted to break his daughter's habit of sucking her thumb.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2022, 1:50 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
That Band-Aids now come in different shades of brown to match people with darker skin tones.

I'm white, and Band-Aids have never matched my skin tone. Wonder if they'll come with "pasty-faced anemic" color?

But also does darker band aids for dark skin even help race issues? Like idk I never had a band aid match my skin as a white person I just never even considered band aids were supposed to necessarily blend in. Like to me it seems like when companies green-wash to appeal to more environmentallly people but are doing this for skin tone instead idk like woke washing maybe.

But yeah I don't think it is band-aids in the wrong colors minorites are worried about, they seem more worried of mistreatment by law enforcement, how do dark skin bandages help that issue?

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 10:44 am

that olive oil can cause cancer.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2022, 1:10 pm

If you wake up one morning and suddenly discover that you do not know any two people with the same first name, and that your phone number begins with 555, you can safely assume you have fallen into a work of fiction.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 4:51 am

The Mason-Dixon Line is called that because it was actually surveyed by Jeremiah Dixon and Charles Mason. Wealthy individuals contracted with these two men to determine the boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland and Delaware and the Virginias.

Only later was it taken to be the demarcation between North and South during the civil war.

temp1234
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 6:02 am

that everything in California is carcinogenic. I wonder why people like there if it's such a dangerous place.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 11:08 am

To stay away from PPR if I don't want to be squished into a tiny, little pea pancake.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 12:50 pm

Some adults don't know how babies are made.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2022, 1:19 pm

blazingstar wrote:
The Mason-Dixon Line is called that because it was actually surveyed by Jeremiah Dixon and Charles Mason. Wealthy individuals contracted with these two men to determine the boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland and Delaware and the Virginias.

Only later was it taken to be the demarcation between North and South during the civil war.

I thought everyone knew that. Am always shocked how folks dont know it.

The individuals who contracted the two surveyers were William Penn (founder of the Pennsylvania colony), and Lord Baltimore (founder of the Maryland colony). It was all LONG before the US existed as an independent country. Just a boundary line between two British colonies that later became two American states. As colonial society evolved Pennsylvania became the bottom of the north (where agriculture was dominated by family farms growing food crops) and Maryland became the "top" of the south were cash crops like tobacco (but not yet cotton) that required slaves dominated. And the two regional cultures of north and south began to diverge. And also were slavery ended as one by one the states of the north outlawed slavery.

So "the Mason Dixon Line" became short hand for "the boundary between the north and south" long before the civil war. And continued to be long after (Twentieth Century Blacks from Harlem traveling south had to start worrying about segregation laws in Maryland, and more so in Viriginia, and still more so in the deep south). Actually it was, and still is, more accurate to think of it as "the Mason Dixon line, plus the Ohio River" as the boundary between north and south.

NotHolyRomanOrAnEmpire
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jun 2022, 6:51 pm

Apparently gender equality is higher in China than in their more economically developed East Asian neighbours, one of the more favourable legacies of Mao.