Were ancient egyptians gigantic??

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 4:08 am

I was reading about ancient egyptians and some people say that they were above average in height, zahi hawass says their heights started from 5'7 to 6 ' ft tall and i thought that's very tall for that time and environment, also tutankhamun was 180 cm considering that time and his health issues and age but there are also some who are average or below average but those died old like ramses ii was only 170cm but he died in his 90's and people start getting smaller after age 30 or something
But I'm not sure of this, do you think they were gigantic???

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 4:25 am

Not really.

The Celtic mercs were renowned for their height by the Romans and Egyptians, and they were usually around 6' for the tallest (barring outliers). Much the same as today.

Africans in Egypt would have been taller than your basic Arab/Mediterranean though, which would push up the height of "Egyptians". They weren't any taller than the Celts [and Anglo-Saxons] though.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2015, 10:12 am

Dillogic wrote:
Not really.

The Celtic mercs were renowned for their height by the Romans and Egyptians, and they were usually around 6' for the tallest (barring outliers). Much the same as today.

Africans in Egypt would have been taller than your basic Arab/Mediterranean though, which would push up the height of "Egyptians". They weren't any taller than the Celts [and Anglo-Saxons] though.

Maybe the pharaohs and nobles were the only tall ones then
Well egyptians today are taller than the average arab