Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

MisterSpock
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 11:12 am

I couldn't find a more appropriate forum than this one...

Languages are flexible things. Sure, I'll violently defend the Oxford comma, but languages change over time. That said, I've found that even English, with twice as many words as more efficient languages, doesn't have quite enough options to fully express myself. So I've made my own up over time.

What have you made up, or felt a need for? They don't have to be English. Mine are below.

Ostenstationery: ostentatious accessories, including stationery

Impostrophe: the back tick or accent that looks like an apostrophe that messes up my word documents

Demicolon: a new punctuation mark that indicates a related idea, but your original sentence was already too long. It looks like a colon with both dots replaced by commas. I could have used one before the final sentence in my first paragraph.

Dorages: door edges. Also, florages: skirting board.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2015, 3:05 pm

nuisant: the adjective form of nuisance. I was actually surprised when I found out that this is not a word. Instead of having to say, "It is such a nuisance!", I want to say "It is so nuisant!".

rubbishly: the adjective and adverbial form of rubbish. "The work was done very rubbishly".

friendlily: in a friendly manner - adverbial form of friendly (this seems to be an accepted word but I've never seen/heard this used in a sentence). "She talked to me in a friendly way." --> "She talked to me friendlily."

hangry: (adj.) in a bad mood because of hunger.

tabedzukare /tabɛzuˈkarɛ/ or /tæbəzəˈkɑːri/: (n.) the feeling of depression one experiences when his/her stomach is full.

it: used instead of he/she.

I think I have more but can't think of any right now.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Apr 2015, 12:56 am

meowey~ the state of a cat meowing a lot.
barkey~ the state of a dog barking a lot.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition