Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Mar 2007, 6:59 pm

I had purchased a box of Vanilla wafers from one of those Family Dollar stores. I noticed when walked in that there was a strong smell of insecticide. Against my better judgment, I bought the cookies anyway.

When I got home, I was having a few of them, when noticed a strong, bitter taste. I spit them out immediately, and called Poison Control. I explained about the strong smell I'd noticed in the store, and asked if it was possible that the insecticide could have somehow penetrated the box and the plastic wrapping inside. She kept assuring me that that wasn't possible, and that I didn't have to worry about being poisoned. Even said that the cookies were probably stale. I knew it was of no use to argue, so I just tossed them in the trash.

I wonder if this is just my extremely strong sense of smell and taste, or could bug spray have gotten into those cookies? I still have the bitter taste in my throat, even though I rinsed my mouth and drank water.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 7:00 pm

The taste probably won't go away like that, you need to eat a mint or brush your teeth to get rid of the taste.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 7:05 pm

That seems gross. I agree about the mint or brushing your teeth.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 8:52 pm

Ee-yew! Ditto on the tooth brushing or the mint.

beaker
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Mar 2007, 9:05 pm

It was probably only on the box but you got a tiny amount on your hands and then touched the cookies.

So the cookies were probably safe until you touched them.

DejaQ
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 9:24 pm

Yeah, I've heard things about those dollar stores. They basically get things cheap by getting them from foreign places, so there are some safety concerns. I remember hearing something like some stores were getting toothpaste from South Africa (I think :?), where the water doesn't have fluoride inserted into it, so the fluoride content in toothpaste is higher to compensate, but becomes dangerous when combined with water that has more fluoride.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Mar 2007, 9:24 pm

usually the family dollar store doesnt carry pesticides, so maybe you were imagining it? thats wierd though and i'm sure a similar situation has happend to me before but i just cant remember it

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Mar 2007, 1:57 am

richardbenson wrote:
usually the family dollar store doesnt carry pesticides, so maybe you were imagining it? thats wierd though and i'm sure a similar situation has happend to me before but i just cant remember it

Since I moved to the South, I have never seen so many pesticide happy people. They will spray ANYTHING. It's gotten so that I recognize that smell immediately. Once I bought a snack wrapped in cellophane and a banana, from a convenience store that reeked of it. (You'd think I'd learn) Anyway, I took a bite of the banana, and it tasted horrible. So did the snack. I don't know if the smell is so strong, it affects my taste buds, or if enough of it's sprayed, it eventually permeates even packaging.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 2:40 am

Afraid y'all are just gonna have t'get used to it. 'round dixie, we like the taste of insectisides.

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 2:58 am

I think that insecticide was in your cookies, but I don't know how.

One day, when I was 15, I accidentaly drank floor cleaner liquid.

I was sleeping, then I woke up at midnight and I was thirsty. I don't know how I finished drinking from a bottle with that liquid :? . I tried washing my teeth, drinking water and other liquids with a better flavor, but that awful taste continued in my throat for about 36 hours. I couldn't sleep, that liquid was burning my throat and it was painful!

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Mar 2007, 1:35 pm

calandale wrote:
Afraid y'all are just gonna have t'get used to it. 'round dixie, we like the taste of insectisides.

:roll: :lol:

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Mar 2007, 1:38 pm

SamuraiSaxen wrote:
I think that insecticide was in your cookies, but I don't know how.

One day, when I was 15, I accidentaly drank floor cleaner liquid.

I was sleeping, then I woke up at midnight and I was thirsty. I don't know how I finished drinking from a bottle with that liquid :? . I tried washing my teeth, drinking water and other liquids with a better flavor, but that awful taste continued in my throat for about 36 hours. I couldn't sleep, that liquid was burning my throat and it was painful!

Glad it didn't make you seriously ill! But about the taste, that was why I suspected that the insecticide must have gotten on the cookies, because the taste lingered for about five hours, even after I had brushed my teeth and drank several cups of tea. Worse, my throat felt scorched.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 1:52 pm

Yuck. Insecticide shouldn't be used anyway.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2007, 1:57 pm

When i buy things from the dollar store they reek of moth balls. Even after i take them out of the package. That's why i go to a different dollar store now.