Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 2:17 pm

As the title says.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 6:45 pm

Not really. You can't sit or sleep on a TV. Well maybe you could back when they were still big and boxy and not flat screen like they usually are now, not that that would have been a good idea unless you were a cat. You could also put decorations and things on top of them, but not anymore.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 7:03 pm

Mine falls more into the category of a shrine and is the heart of my home.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 9:46 pm

The old console tv's were furniture, but now they are electronics that sit on furniture. Or hang on the wall.

We had a console tv in the den until about 12 years ago. One of the old wooden ones, the big kind. RCA lol. It had a wooden cabinet and a decorated rail around the top where we kept the TV guide, the cable box, some framed photos and sometimes flowers or fruit. You can't do that now.

We also used to have one of the old console radio/record player things that I got at a yard sale. I like retro stuff, and at the time was into midcentury modern. This was from about the early 60's. It had only an AM radio and it had a record player. The top lifted up to turn it on and the speaker was in the front and on the side. The speaker had a wooden top so you could put photos and things on it as well. I don't know what happened to it, I think I got rid of it when we moved. My MIL has one in her bedroom, but it's under piles of papers. When she dies, I get it. And the fur, even though it's too small, I'll have it altered to fit me. There is also one of those console tv's in one of the bedrooms at the lake house. They still work good.

Remember back in the day when your tv broke down and the tv repairman had to come out? He came out to fix it and as a kid I'd stand there and watch. We were always worried it was the picture tube, cause then you would have to get a new one. It was bad when they had to take it in to fix it, but they could usually fix it at the house. Now you box it back up and send it off, or just get another one. I miss the tv repairman. And the milkman.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 1:01 am

I still have my boxed TV and I think my parents still have their others. I am not sure what they did with their big ones. But we now have three big screen TVs and one of them broke so my parents had to take it in to get it fixed.

But the boxed TV I have in my room was my brothers and it's over ten years old. I think I was about 16 when my parents got it and it was for his Gamecube. Surprisingly it still works when TVs today are meant to break and you go and get a new one. The one we have in the basement is supposed to last two years before it breaks according to a TV repair guy who fixed my parents TV set.

My husband got our first flat screen around 2009 and it still works to this day, it has never broke but my brother is borrowing it right now.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Jun 2015, 7:19 pm

I consider them appliances.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition