Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2023, 12:33 am

Today I found a book at the thrift store that I've been wanting to read, and it's very good so far but I'm a little nervous. It seems like it's going to contain the type of horror that really upsets me (the kind that makes you question reality). I usually avoid most horror media but I'm also fascinated by the idea of psychological horror and I wish I could explore it more without freaking out too much.

Do you enjoy horror media? Do you ever get too spooked/overwhelmed by it? Any advice for keeping myself grounded while I enjoy my book?

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 1:32 am

Not really into horror media. Mostly because I will either get very upset by it or find it really stupid. So I avoid it if I can.

Maybe if you keep comforting things around you as you read that will help and don't read in the dark.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 1:48 am

I haven't read a horror story since I was a kid. I almost never watch horror movies - stopped about 15 years ago when I decided I didn't need any additional negativity/mind pollution.

That said, I've been told some real life horror stories that are pretty messed up. I don't need fiction when there's real life traumatic stuff to process and try not to think too much about.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2023, 2:11 am

Winters Gate wrote:
Not really into horror media. Mostly because I will either get very upset by it or find it really stupid. So I avoid it if I can.

Maybe if you keep comforting things around you as you read that will help and don't read in the dark.

That's a good idea, I'll try to just read it during the daytime. Maybe even only when my partner is in the room

Quote:
I haven't read a horror story since I was a kid. I almost never watch horror movies - stopped about 15 years ago when I decided I didn't need any additional negativity/mind pollution.

That said, I've been told some real life horror stories that are pretty messed up. I don't need fiction when there's real life traumatic stuff to process and try not to think too much about.

"Mind pollution" is a good description for how horror tends to affect me- it usually drags me down and makes me paranoid.

At the same time, I really envy people who can handle horror because I think it has value as a genre. When it's done well, horror can explore important concepts and bring up interesting things to think about. Sometimes scary things are good to face, and fiction can help us do that in a healthy way (again, if it's done well)

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 6:36 am

I can’t watch or read anything that features torture.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 7:42 am

Twilightprincess wrote:
I can’t watch or read anything that features torture.

Me neither, particularly sexual torture or people getting pleasure from eating other people. Anything to do with children is out too.

Not a big horror fan in general. I do prefer psychological horror. I like Blair Witch. I like Kubrick's The Shining. My favourite book is Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves which is horror, I suppose.

Intellectually, I'm convinced there's nothing supernatural out there, but put me alone in a ruined house, at night, in the middle of the woods and I might tell you a different story.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 12:27 pm

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
Quote:

"Mind pollution" is a good description for how horror tends to affect me- it usually drags me down and makes me paranoid.

At the same time, I really envy people who can handle horror because I think it has value as a genre. When it's done well, horror can explore important concepts and bring up interesting things to think about. Sometimes scary things are good to face, and fiction can help us do that in a healthy way (again, if it's done well)

I’m not in the same dark headspace I was then so could easily watch/read horror today, but I just don’t as I’ve fallen out of the habit entirely.

I very very rarely read fiction books. Almost never. I have a few new books to read but they’re all non fiction. I also almost never watch tv or movies - and when I do someone else has it on and it’s background noise.. it’s very very rare I ever turn it on and then it’s usually background noise to internet use, Or once in a blue moon I watch something I want to see.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 3:55 pm

i love horror movies :D

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 4:07 pm

lol Ocean

I have always gotten a "thrill" out of the movies that are done well, and many that are just campy/trope-ish, and I def. read some "scary" stuff when I was young. AND I have had a few movies mess with me to where I felt "threatened" afterwards... BUT, I also know none of it is real, and like goldfish mentioned, real life is where the true horror is. As an art form, I think horror seeks to buffer the true horror.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2023, 4:21 pm

DuckHairback wrote:

My favourite book is Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves which is horror, I suppose.

That's the book I'm reading! From what I understand it's not a traditional horror novel, more of an experimental novel with horror elements, but it's scaring me quite a bit so far. At the same time, it's so fascinating that I can't stop reading it

No spoilers please, even small ones!

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jun 2023, 6:17 pm

Also I found some good advice online, in case anyone else is curious-

Apparently one good way to calm down after getting spooked by horror media is to exercise. Scary things activate our fight or flight response, and exercising helps your body feel like you've responded appropriately and that the "danger" is gone

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 7:14 pm

When I was a kid, I loved ghost stories. I love horror as an adult. If it's horror with a deep lore to it, I'm all in.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2023, 7:17 pm

I'm afraid of humans, psychological horror, and captivity. Couldn't finish Get Out. Stopped Infinity Pool and didn't think I could ever finish it. Eventually read the blurb online so I'd know what to expect, then watched in measured sections a few weeks apart, with much distraction and a running dialogue to friends. Other no-no's are Silence of the Lambs and Truman Show.

I love ghost stories and supernatural horror but most of it's stupid, with too many special effects. Less is always more. I don't mind the kind with blood and guts like Halloween, because they're so stupid they're laughable. It's hard for me to get just the right balance of actual fear, good writing, and good acting without triggering my trauma response or making me roll my eyes at lame special effects.

Two of my favourites are Rosemary's Baby and The Omen. They don't make them that good anymore. RB was right at the brink of being too much for me in some scenes, but ended up just perfect.

I love the book of The Shining. The movie is terrifying too, but gets stupid by the end and I lose interest.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 7:46 am

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

My favourite book is Mark Z. Danielewski's House of Leaves which is horror, I suppose.

That's the book I'm reading! From what I understand it's not a traditional horror novel, more of an experimental novel with horror elements, but it's scaring me quite a bit so far. At the same time, it's so fascinating that I can't stop reading it

I'm jealous that you're reading it for the first time. Wouldn't dream of spoiling it.

And you're right, it's not pure horror. It's more a deconstruction of literature and film masquerading as a horror novel.

EdwardMatthew
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jun 2023, 6:25 am

I'm also Not really into horror media. Mostly because I will either get very upset by it or find it really stupid. I guess thrillers are more better then horror movies. :lol:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2023, 9:18 am

GreenVelvetWorm wrote:
DuckHairback wrote:

I rarely leave a book unfinished, but I couldn't finish this one. I just couldn't make sense of it. That being said, I love horror. Clive Barker, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, etc... The weirder, the better.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.