Public Restroom Etiquette Question

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Do you think it rude to poop in a public restroom?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
Only if others are waiting 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

thechadmaster1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Nov 2015, 5:54 pm

So you're in a small convenience store. There is a single unisex restroom, a "one holer", the time is 8:00 am and the store is busy. You are third in a line of five, and while you're in line, a sixth person joins the line. You have a secret: you are there for a number two.

I have done research, and I cannot find an answer. Is it considered rude to poop in a public restroom while others are waiting? Should you offer those in line behind you to go first?

I was in this situation a while back, I was on the pot when someone knocked on the door. I replied "just a minute". The person replied, "you need to hurry it up, my kid needs to go" I had been in there for about three minutes at that point.

What do the rules of etiquette dictate here? Can certain people "pull rank" on others either waiting or using a public toilet? Is one compelled to "hold it" if there is a line and/or they know it will leave a foul smell? What about IBS-D sufferers? Do they get "priority seating" as it were.

I use the convenience store example here, but it can be applied to any high traffic area where a single user restroom exists. Obviously this does not apply in a facility where multiple stalls exist.

watson503
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Nov 2015, 6:02 pm

Well, that's pretty much the reason restrooms were invented but I do get what you are saying, if there is a line - I'd say as long as the person just takes care of their business and doesn't spend an inordinate amount of time in there there is nothing wrong with it. Myself, personally - I'd try to avoid using a public restroom for that purpose unless it was an emergency, but that's just me.