Android 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Lease 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Buy 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 12

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 1:41 pm

Howdy. It's me, Angie. Well, it's about that time again - time to update my cell phone. Big decision. I usually keep my phones like my cars (a very long time) because I hate change. Anyway, I currently have an IPhone5. I used to always get Androids and I was really happy with them - a lot of great apps and I really LOVED the swipe feature for texting. I'd still keep my IPhone, but I have a 16gb and I'm running out of storage. I also didn't update to IOS7 and now there isn't enough storage to update to the latest IOS and so most apps are unusable. I think I pretty much made up my mind to get another Android. There just is nothing positive I can say about my IPhone. I think it's popular because saying you have an IPhone seems to be trendy. I hate it. So Android it is.

Now for the storage - 32gb or 64gb. I think I made my mind up on that, as well, and 64 gb is only $100 more.

Should I lease or buy is the question. I've been with Sprint my entire cell phone existence and like I said before - I hate change. If I upgrade, the Galaxy s6 would be $250 with a 2 yr contract I believe. Contracts don't bother me. My plan I have now is actually the same as what everyone else is getting so I see no reason to change plans. Sprint said I could rent for $5 a month. I take care of my phones - my phone now looks new with no scratches and it's almost 4 yrs old. I just don't like never owning something, though. I've never leased a vehicle and I bought my condo, so giving back a phone makes me a little uncomfortable. Some things to ponder.

So, which phone do you prefer and do you lease or buy your cell phones?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 4:50 pm

I prefer to buy things and I've never rented anything least of all phones/computers. Once I own one of those I prefer it if no one else uses it, unless I decide to sell it after erasing any trace of myself. Just like you I hate change so I'm reluctant to get electronics on contract. I've only used Nokia phones, again due to not wanting to change, so I've only had experience with a Windows phone OS. I've never seen the appeal of Apple products but I have considered Android. I'm not really one who cares about apps so I'm content with a Windows phone.

If I were to change to an Android phone I would personally get an LG. I've never really seen the appeal of Samsung products either, but if you're comfortable with it then you should go with it. Just make sure it has at least 1 gig ram though as this is probably more important than storage capacity in my opinion.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 5:10 pm

I made a decision to go with the Samsung Galaxy Edge Plus and the 64 gb. So I went to Best Buy AND the Sprint store and they don't have it in stock. They had the 32 gb, but since I keep my phones forever (storage is the only reason I'm upgrading now) I want a lot of storage. I'm going to try to order it from Best Buy. Good things come to those who wait, I suppose.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 5:14 pm

IPhone / buy

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 7:21 pm

iPhone leased on a 2 year tab(assuming I could get a good plan, on Boxing day), with an option larger than just the 16GB model, because that is never enough. I would put it in a otterbox defender case the moment I bought it so that it would be pretty much indestructable, which is important because I don't want to have to pay for a phone that gets destroyed that I no longer have. It keeps the resale value high, which is already very high on an iPhone, which I can use to put towards a new iPhone in another 2 years.

Boxing day IMO is the best day to get a new phone, that is when the best promotions and plans are offered. I would hold out until then if you could. Black friday may be another good day to get a phone, but I don't know how it is in the US, whether or not they offer one day only promotional phone plans.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 7:24 pm

nurseangela wrote:
I made a decision to go with the Samsung Galaxy Edge Plus and the 64 gb. So I went to Best Buy AND the Sprint store and they don't have it in stock. They had the 32 gb, but since I keep my phones forever (storage is the only reason I'm upgrading now) I want a lot of storage. I'm going to try to order it from Best Buy. Good things come to those who wait, I suppose.

Samsung phones usually come with a promotional 50GB free of dropbox, which is awesome and gives you more than enough storage.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 1:18 am

Noca wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Samsung phones usually come with a promotional 50GB free of dropbox, which is awesome and gives you more than enough storage.

I give up. I've tried to post something here 6 times and it keeps deleting it after that captcha thing. I bet its probably going to let this through though. Lets see....
They need to get rid if that thing because all its doing is penalizing the members! I tried to paste my answer back on here and it just won't take it but its taking all of this that I'm writing. Screwy crap.

I don't get this! I just rewrote everything and it didn't take it again! WTH! It left everything else though. Nevermind. :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 1:32 am

Drawyer wrote:
IPhone / buy

Do you really love the IPhone?
I miss swype.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 1:33 am

Noca wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

When is Boxing Day and why is it so important that you can get a better deal on a phone on that day?

Darn, I flunked.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 11:30 am

Boxing day is December 26th. Now it has become Boxing week lol. That is the day that most blowout sales happen here in Canada because it is the day immediately after Christmas. Retailers want to unload all their unsold holiday merchandise.

I got an unlimited Canada wide talk and text with 2 GB of data for $65/month along with $75 off my phone at the time with Fido here 2 years ago. It was much better than all other deals for even 2 years later during the rest of the calender. The same plan would cost me i think $75 or $85 a month now.

I know your plans in the US will be better than this plan but I am just saying that you will find better deals on Boxing day than just any ordinary day of the year.

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2015, 12:39 pm

i think samsung s6 isnt the way to go their turning more into apple with the inbuilt storage and no micro sd or removable battery. a 128gb micro sd can be had for like £35 whereas apple charge like £200 difference.

i currently have an lg g3 d855 couldnt be happier with it . i would recommend an lg g4

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 5:31 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Drawyer wrote:
IPhone / buy
Do you really love the IPhone?
I miss swype.
Even though I live in South Korea where Samsung/LG..etc.. are rooted, I'm a big fan of Steve Jobs..so I'll stick to Apple forever.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2015, 6:38 pm

accountinglad wrote:
i think samsung s6 isnt the way to go their turning more into apple with the inbuilt storage and no micro sd or removable battery. a 128gb micro sd can be had for like £35 whereas apple charge like £200 difference.

i currently have an lg g3 d855 couldnt be happier with it . i would recommend an lg g4

Micro SD is not the same as flash memory built into the phone, they are not as fast. Have you ever tried connecting your phone via USB and viewing a large folder that is on your Micro SD card onto your computer? The USB is so slow it will just crash, even with the fastest Micro SD on the market. Lots of apps also won't install directly onto a micro SD card.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm

I prefer Android & I'd rather own it cuz I'd save money if I'd keep it a while. I would get one of the latest phones thou with great specks so I'd be able to keep it a while.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2015, 5:40 pm

Are there cell phones that you can add storage to

Darn, I flunked.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Nov 2015, 6:09 pm

nurseangela wrote:
Are there cell phones that you can add storage to
Lots of Android phones have a mico SD card slot.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition