Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 6:43 pm

Which is the correct spelling of the word? With or without the hyphen? According to dictionary.com, the hyphen is required in the adjective but optional in the noun http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/grownup?s=t. According to some other dictionaries, however, the hyphen is required in both the adjective and the noun.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 6:46 pm

I'd use
grown-up as an adjective
and
grownup as a noun.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 7:50 pm

I once saw an episode of Star Trek in which the word 'Grups' was used. That was a neat solution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miri_(Sta ... nal_Series)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 10:03 pm

You might be tempted to just chuck it, and use the word "adult".

But we all know that "adult" is usually used to mean "obscene". So you can't do that.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 10:53 pm

People seem to really hate hyphens now for some strange reason. Even Spider-Man is getting ridiculed for spelling his name that way. :spiderman:

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2015, 12:42 am

Reminds me of a comedian talking about his phone's spell-check letting him know that "b!tch-ass" should be hyphenated.

Anyway, yes, hyphenated for adjective and optional for noun.

lostonearth35 wrote:
People seem to really hate hyphens now for some strange reason. Even Spider-Man is getting ridiculed for spelling his name that way. :spiderman:

There does seem to be a lack of consistency with the superhero names. Spider-Man, Batman, Iron Man, etc. If you typed Spiderman, Bat-Man, or Ironman, comic book geeks would freak out and start lecturing you.