Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2015, 1:16 pm

Almost exclusively.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 1:29 pm

Hmm. I tried to post this once and it failed to go through! So here goes a second try.

I live in a rural area without a whole lot of stores. Many things are difficult to find around here and so I have to order them on-line or do without or with brands that I don't like as much.

For example, I buy shaving soap on-line. The only shaving soap you can buy in a store here is a bottom of the barrel shaving soap that I don't like much. So I buy about two years of hypoallergenic shaving soap at a time on-line.

Also books. The nearest bookstore that I know of is 70 miles from home. It's far cheaper to buy the books on-line than it is to buy five gallons of gas just to go to the bookstore and back.

A few months ago I was looking for an LED desk lamp. The only ones I could find around here were not very good and so I ordered one on-line. It provides far more light than my old desk lamp and uses far less power in the process. Thus, during a power outage, i can have light to read by for at least three hours by plugging it into a battery backup that I have for my computer. The old lamp could only go for about an hour and wasn't bright enough to easily read by.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 4:54 pm

I wish. I can't because I don't have a credit card. They're nothing but trouble. I only download stuff for games and such if I have a gift card. I once used a pre-paid credit card but the next time I tried buying on the same online store they wouldn't let me use a second pre-paid one as if the first one I used was a real credit card. I've tried to get a Pay Pal card but my stupid bank doesn't have them and right now theirs is the only bank close enough to my home.

It's not fair that there are so many things I can only get online and have to ask my mother to use her credit card for me. It's so embarrassing. :oops:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 5:26 pm

I do all shopping online in my jammies. I hate going out to shop because I never find what I'm looking for and I end up wasting too much time.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 6:11 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I wish. I can't because I don't have a credit card. They're nothing but trouble. I only download stuff for games and such if I have a gift card. I once used a pre-paid credit card but the next time I tried buying on the same online store they wouldn't let me use a second pre-paid one as if the first one I used was a real credit card. I've tried to get a Pay Pal card but my stupid bank doesn't have them and right now theirs is the only bank close enough to my home.

It's not fair that there are so many things I can only get online and have to ask my mother to use her credit card for me. It's so embarrassing. :oops:

That's odd. When I use a credit card on-line, it is always the one-time credit card option with Bank of America's Shopsafe. It creates a new credit card number for the transaction or group of transactions with a predefined maximum limit. Once it is used at a retailer, it can only be used at that retailer.

For example, if I wanted to buy $50 worth of items from one retailer but expect to buy $500 over the course of the year, I can create a credit card number good for $500 with an expiration of one year. If someone were to steal the number, they could only use it at that retailer.

Usually I just set a limit a few dollars more than what I want to buy and change the credit card number with every transaction.

So it seems odd that they wouldn't let you use a different credit card number.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 6:26 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:

Do you have a debit card? I don't have a credit card either, I go shopping with my debit card if you have Visa on it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

30 Nov 2015, 6:53 pm

I don't buy that much stuff but I do shop online. Amazon & eBay are the main famous sites I use.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

laurasd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Dec 2015, 9:54 am

I love it. Sometimes I worry that its not going to come on time if, for example, I have ordered someones xmas or birthday present online. However, I really enjoy just being at home and being able to get what I want :)

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 12:32 pm

I prefer shopping online to shopping in real shops, which can be a physical exhaustion and a sensory nightmare depending on where I have to shop in the real world.

Shopping online is quick and easy and I've never had a bad experience with it, maybe just a couple of delivery issues but mostly very smooth experiences.

Lostonearth -- you don't need a credit card as long as you have an ordinary debit card for your bank account. I have a Paypal account set up to my debit card, and I also have the card set up to pay directly from my bank account on places like Amazon.