Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 1:13 pm

I'm wondering if people can cook here. I'm not very good at cooking.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 1:35 pm

I've been learning to cook--did my first chicken stir fry last night with a small non-stick pan. Easy to get it hot and the fact that there is only room for one serving isn't a problem. :D

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 4:58 am

I like to cook sometimes I do get adventurous with my cooking, I also use a slow cooker and make enough for two meals.
If I feel like it I'll make things like Blueberry Muffins.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Dec 2015, 5:19 am

I HAD to learn to cook for myself, due to the high number of food insensitivities I have due to my SPD. I believe I've become quite good over the years, and I especially enjoy making a lot of Italian and Mexican dishes.
FWIW, I cooked our entire Thanksgiving meal last week and there were virtually no leftovers! Traditionally my spouse has prepared all of our big-production "holliday" dinners (with my intolerances in mind) but this year I was the only one in the house that had a compleat day off, so I took it all on solo and my other half ended up quite impressed with the results. Our next big meal will be XMAS day because we all happen to have it off even though we don't observe it as a religious holliday. I'm not a WHOLE turkey expert yet (I successfully roasted only a boneless breast for Thanksgiving), so I'll likely only help out with side dishes this next time around, and leave the big bird for my spouse. Perhaps I'll feel like trying to tackle a danm ham for our New Years dinner? I decently made one up for Easter a few years ago.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Dec 2015, 11:22 pm

I cant cook much either Kitty partly due to disabilities. I have a rare low vision disorder that includes some colorblindness & a tremor disorder that acts up when doing things with fine motor-skills. Most of my cooking is heating up leftovers in the microwave that my girlfriend cooked & I sometimes cook things like corndogs, frenchfries & fishsticks in the toast-r-oven.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm

I can if I have to, but I'm too lazy. Most of the food I eat is stuff that gets thrown in the oven or microwave.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:35 pm

I taught myself because food never tasted the way I wanted it to, got pretty good at it, and now do it professionally. Incidentally, I can't say I'd recommend that career path to many Aspies, or anyone who wants a high standard of living generally. On the other hand, if you enjoy hot, physical, high pressure work in confined spaces while inebriated for next to no money, cooking might be your trade...

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 12:25 am

I taught myself to cook over a period of about 3 years. However, I have been so sick for the past 12 months that I have barely done any cooking at all, at least not cooking for taste anyway, just survival. I got to the point where about 70% of my dishes would turn out well(according to myself and others who ate them), and I cooked from scratch and made recipes out of my head. I certainly wasn't good enough to do it as a job or anything. I am a really slow cook, who can't multitask but have a fine attention to detail and I am reasonably creative.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 2:34 am

I love cooking, but I'm still an amateur at it and I don't think I'm that good at it. lol I enjoy getting creative and figuring stuff out on my own. It doesn't always produce the best tasting meals, but it's just so satisfying to just wing it.

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2015, 3:40 am

I like cooking, when I am on holidays between semesters and have some time on my hands, I do quite a lot of cooking. Although I am not very adventurous; I like to just keep making the same 10 or so dishes time and time again (mostly Italian and Asian). My Mum thinks I am crazy because I usually completely ignore the recipe and just do what I want, for example if making a stir-fry I may use different vegetables from what the recipe specifies.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2015, 4:57 am

Dox47 wrote:
I taught myself because food never tasted the way I wanted it to, got pretty good at it, and now do it professionally. Incidentally, I can't say I'd recommend that career path to many Aspies, or anyone who wants a high standard of living generally. On the other hand, if you enjoy hot, physical, high pressure work in confined spaces while inebriated for next to no money, cooking might be your trade...

One of my jobs during my college years was part time grill cook at a Sacramento area McDonald's where I actually had to "flip" the hamburgers by hand in the 1980's before the chain brought in those pull-down lids that grill both sides of the patties at the same time. I was always being "coached" for being too conservative on the onions and pickles during the assembly. Back in those days they had the stupid McDLT, one of the most overrated burgers ever. I hated those because we had to put "ample" amounts of veggies on one side of the styrofoam clamshell and the bare patty on the other.
I was overjoyed when the chain discontinued this garbage!

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Dec 2015, 2:23 am

Jory wrote:
I can if I have to, but I'm too lazy. Most of the food I eat is stuff that gets thrown in the oven or microwave.

I'm guilty of this, too. A pizza takes 20 minutes in the oven, but even chicken and vegetables has to be flavored, cut up, cooked for much longer, etc. I try to cook but keep "easy meals" on hand for when I don't feel like it or am too tired.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 3:09 am

nick007 wrote:
I cant cook much either Kitty partly due to disabilities. I have a rare low vision disorder that includes some colorblindness & a tremor disorder that acts up when doing things with fine motor-skills. Most of my cooking is heating up leftovers in the microwave that my girlfriend cooked & I sometimes cook things like corndogs, frenchfries & fishsticks in the toast-r-oven.

I love corndogs, you are making me hungry, LOL.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2015, 3:23 am

I do like to cook, it's fun cooking. When I do cook, my cooking comes out of boxes. I know how to make hamburgers, but I can't make them round.