Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 12:47 pm

It's almost Christmas & then the New Year's Day. How do you celebrate New Year's Eve? Do you not celebrate it. Do you have any plans for 2016?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 1:00 pm

I will be attending a New Year's Eve party hosted by a boss from a former company I worked at.
They invite local musicians over and play the piano, violin, and any other instruments
that people care to bring, and sing Broadway show tunes as well.

Everyone brings a dish to pass.
The host serves champagne to everyone at midnight
as we watch the ball drop in Times Square on TV.
It's fancy dress ...
the first year I went I wore business casual and
was so embarrassed to see other people in evening gowns and tuxedos,
so now I wear at least a semi-formal top
and weather permitting, maybe a nice purple dress with sequins.

Plans for 2016:

I should really focus a little less on Star Trek
and way more on creating art,
entering juried exhibits at art galleries and museums,
and marketing my work.
Maybe start a new art blog.

"It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine." -- REM

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 1:55 pm

Not really. I am an early bird. I may go to sleep and wake up again before midnight to acknowledge the New Year, but that's pretty much it.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 2:07 pm

the_phoenix wrote:
I will be attending a New Year's Eve party hosted by a boss from a former company I worked at.
They invite local musicians over and play the piano, violin, and any other instruments
that people care to bring, and sing Broadway show tunes as well.

Everyone brings a dish to pass.
The host serves champagne to everyone at midnight
as we watch the ball drop in Times Square on TV.
It's fancy dress ...
the first year I went I wore business casual and
was so embarrassed to see other people in evening gowns and tuxedos,
so now I wear at least a semi-formal top
and weather permitting, maybe a nice purple dress with sequins.

Plans for 2016:

I should really focus a little less on Star Trek
and way more on creating art,
entering juried exhibits at art galleries and museums,
and marketing my work.
Maybe start a new art blog.

Do you still want to be friends?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2015, 5:08 pm

Christmas day = always a family dinner. Usually with my dad's side of the family, but sometimes with my mom's - or both if we're hosting it. The last couple years or so we've spent Christmas morning with my brother's ex-wife for brunch (we're all still very close even though they're no longer married, it's rather nice.) so we'll do that again. Since most of us live in the same neighbourhood, others will be there for brunch, too. On my way over to her place Christmas morning each of the last two years I've stopped by my closest friend's family home to deliver gifts to him and his brother, sister, and parents because I'm so grateful for them in my life (the Herbalist & Naturopathic Doctor I've learned life changing health things from) & this year will be no different - save for also including a gift for his very long time friend and new boyfriend this year, too. Also, somehow before Christmas I need to get presents wrapped and delivered for 40ish people or so. I still have a few things to go pick up today.. then it's wrap/bag & deliver time this week.

NYE has ranged from small parties to flying solo, but most NYE's over the last decade I've been working at bars so end up working. This year I'm not working at a bar and have partied more than any other year (10 days of partying during Pride, then 5 parties in 2 1/2 days for Halloween - one of which made international headlines and continues to create drama in the local LGBT community lol) & so I've decided I'm going to party it up for NYE at the same venue, then again the next night for NYD night when it's the ultra gay version of their new year's party. Further, just because I can and it's good fun, I'm going to be rocking a "glitter beard" at both parties this year. Should be good times! :D

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2015, 1:50 am

christmas usually involved going to my grandmothers house, and then my aunts house afterwards and sleeping over there. that was when i was younger.
we still go to my grandmas house but it seems like more family members have different plans every christmas, so not as many of us get to convene at my aunt's...something my dad doesn't really mind.

i don't expect this year to me much different, unless the firlgriend's gong to be in town for christmas (believe so) and i can maybe stay for a while there. bu that'll be a miracle.

new years is more dynamic. last few years we stayed at home but we used to go to my other (paternal) aunt's house with his family to watch the countdown.

there was a certain guest there when i want 10 years ago who would not leave me alone. perhaps she likes me, but i don't miss her.

for this coming year i will be securing some work, bonding with her and working on shedding whatever chains and bindings that remain.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Dec 2015, 2:45 am

I don't celebrate it & I don't really have any plans for the new year except the usual stuff.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition