Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 1:29 pm

I don't have any such thing, myself, but I actually have a fascination with pets, particularly dogs and cats, that have been bred furless. I don't know why most people consider them unattractive, and I think that the cause behind this perception is that most people are just thrown off by the fact that it's unusual. An excessively hairy human being would cause equal discomfort because, quite simply, we aren't used to thinking of humans as having pelts.

Here are two sphinx cats, for example. If you can swallow the idea of them being naturally furless, you should have no problem with appreciating the attractiveness of these animals. The one on the left may look too human-like for comfort, so start with the one on the right. If you can get yourself to put away the perception of these creatures as being like "deformed humans," you'll see what I'm getting at here.

I have an even greater fondness, however, for the xolo.

Also known as the Mexican Hairless, the Hairless Xoloitzcuintle brings to mind an image of a strong, valiant animal for those who have had actual experiences with the breed. Though most people are familiar with the toy and miniature sizes, their larger kin don't greatly differ in appearances from their fur-bearing counterparts.

As with the hairless version, the coated xolo is a very handsome and intelligent animal, known for exercising strict loyalty toward its family. Unlike other dogs who are notorious for forming such tight bonds, a xolo will rarely be hostile toward strangers. Instead, creatures whom they don't associate with their pack will be regarded as all but nonexistent. This makes them ideal for dog enthusiasts who prefer to have a special relationship with their animals without having to worry about them a negative or dangerous reaction toward others.

Though one cannot be blamed for having a preference, both the coated and hairless varieties of this breed are clearly worthy of respect. Personally, I have never really understood why it is difficult for some people to accept the idea of a beautifully hairless breed. If the animal's build is such that the hairlessness does not come off as out of place or unnatural, one can easily come to appreciate and love such an animal.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 1:32 pm

They're all so pretty. Reminds me of Egypt.

Eudevie
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2007, 1:40 pm

The Hairless Dogs aren't so much a problem as hairless cats. when you look at a cat with fur, it doesn't seem to have as much skin as the hairless. the hairless cats have many skin folds, and also claws are more easily seen with hairless cats then ones with fur. That and Furless cats don't look as healthy/hardy as furred cats.

Dogs are easier to accept because they (usually) don't have all that extra skin baggage, and dogs can be very short haired anyway...

With all the things I cant explain

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 1:45 pm

I don't have any hairless pets, but this is cute:

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 1:47 pm

^ Awww!! !! !! !! That cat is adorable!! ! Looks pissed though. o.O

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

14 Apr 2007, 1:52 pm

Hairless beavers anyone?

Griff
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:17 pm

Eudevie wrote:
The Hairless Dogs aren't so much a problem as hairless cats. when you look at a cat with fur, it doesn't seem to have as much skin as the hairless. the hairless cats have many skin folds, and also claws are more easily seen with hairless cats then ones with fur. That and Furless cats don't look as healthy/hardy as furred cats.
I guess this renders me a little odd. I don't find it particularly offensive. It's just a characteristic of the breed.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89ShqMjUM-k[/youtube]However, the breed still needs development. Something needs to be done about the weeping. Over time, I imagine it would cause skin inflammation, which is really one of the reasons that I'm against breed purists. They cause overbreeding for specific traits, and this results in problems for the animal.

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:29 pm

I used to have a hairless guinea pig as a pet. He was awesome. I miss him. :cry:

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:31 pm

Furry animals>Furless animals

What's so fascinating about hairless animals? :?

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:32 pm

They're just....hairless. It's so fascinating! :D

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:33 pm

I like furry animals too.
But there's something nice about furless animals as well. :?

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:43 pm

at my school we have a lot of furless :D , most of them are rodents, though. I like the furless mice.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 2:44 pm

I've never had a furless mouse

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 3:34 pm

I like naked mole rats.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 4:52 pm

Here are a few of my hairless pets: a hen, 3 of her chicks, and our cock (we have 17 chickens and more on the way :D )

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2007, 4:54 pm

They're feathery :D