Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

15 Jan 2016, 12:20 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
"Awww!"

That sound people make when they see a baby or a puppy or a boy scout helping an old lady cross the street. Makes my blood pressure rise.
I like it when women make that sound about me.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 8:03 pm

I don't have a problem with "regularly", but I have a problem saying "singularly"----PHEW, that's rough!!

I agree with "gnarly"----it's just a really strange word!

I don't really hate any words, per se, there's just some that I rarely, if ever, use----like: "charismatic" and "charming" ("charming" is rather UNcharming, to me).

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 8:27 pm

I hate when people say "differentiate" to mean "to show the difference between." It sounds like one of those words people say to sound smarter than they really are. I much prefer the word "distinguish."

creepycrawly36
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2016, 12:20 am

aurora (I don't entirely hate this word, I just find it difficult to say), nom or nom nom (I don't know why these bug me, but they do)

littlecatinthewindow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 4:43 am

I have a list of words that I hate:

Error - It just sounds harsh, and whenever I see it, it means something had gone wrong and prevented me from doing something and it's just so annoying!!

Technical - Has a "ck" sound, and is also used in situations I don't like, like "Sorry we're having technical issues right now" or "Remember to use the proper technical terms if you want to get a good grade in your work."

Techniques - Similar reason as above.

Critical - Again, too many "ck" sounds, used when talking about how well we have to do our work, and sounds just so...I don't know, like you've got to go into every little detail?

Criteria - Also got a "ck" sound in it, used when talking about having to meet certain standards to get a good grade in my work.

Research - I hear it far too often when it comes to doing work these days.

Assignment - It's just an important word for "Piece of work," and I hear it often enough to annoy me.

Assessed - Just another word for "Tested," and again, I hear it too often.

Referencing - Another word I hear too often, something that I HAVE to do in my work, which has a lot of standards and certain ways to do it.

Citing - Again, something I HAVE to do to make my work good enough, and I hear that a lot as well.

There's loads more but I don't want to type them. If someone brings it up, then I'll mention it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 11:49 am

Oh, I just thought of one that really bothers me: "denies". When a medical doctor, or psychologist puts in a medical record "patient denies _______", it really bothers me. It, to me, is saying "patient is lying about _______"-----like, "the patient said she didn't have any candy in her pocket, but I know she was lying about that". Why can't they just say: "the patient says she hasn't ever experienced _______", or something like that?

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 12:01 pm

I don't like the word exasturbate. It sounds too much like another word I'm not going to say.

I also remember having trouble pronouncing "asked." It's hard not to pronounce like "assed," but I tried not to. I ended up sounding like I said "askeddd."

traven
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm

the word hate is used a lot here, is that something american? not wrong
hate seems such a last resort and a bit of a loser thing,
you can: not like, be angry, sad, upset, whatever, but mind your words especially the powerfull negative ones,
« what goes around, comes around »

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 12:32 pm

traven wrote:
the word hate is used a lot here, is that something american? not wrong
hate seems such a last resort and a bit of a loser thing,
you can: not like, be angry, sad, upset, whatever, but mind your words especially the powerfull negative ones,
« what goes around, comes around »

I don't believe in the whole "'hate' is a strong word!" people like to throw around. It's been used so much that it's lost all its original meaning. People have no problem throwing around the word "literally" in every other sentence, but so many of them get up in arms if someone utters the word "hate."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 6:52 pm

goofygoobers wrote:
I don't like the word exasturbate. It sounds too much like another word I'm not going to say.

I also remember having trouble pronouncing "asked." It's hard not to pronounce like "assed," but I tried not to. I ended up sounding like I said "askeddd."

There is no such word as exasturbate.

It's "exacerbate". Unless someone just coined some cute hybrid word (exacerbate +masturbate) that I didnt hear about yet. It does suggest an interesting pun.

But many folks have trouble with "asked",but they usually default to saying "axed"!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 4:54 pm

IMO, the word "backstab" is such a strange term because it implies that someone is literally stabbing someone in the back with a knife.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 9:08 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
goofygoobers wrote:

There is no such word as exasturbate.

It's "exacerbate". Unless someone just coined some cute hybrid word (exacerbate +masturbate) that I didnt hear about yet. It does suggest an interesting pun.

But many folks have trouble with "asked",but they usually default to saying "axed"!

Perhaps I was hearing the word incorrectly. I sometimes do that with words I don't usually use. If I hear an unfamiliar word and don't see how it's spelled, I tend to misunderstand it and pronounce it incorrectly. I wonder if it's because my mom taught me phonics when I was learning how to read and speak.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 9:13 pm

I thought about "exasperate" myself.

Adam_K93
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jan 2016, 9:17 pm

Bling bling - It just makes me think of a sound that random people made when they saw something shiny.

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 5:32 am

- Rubbish
- Drivel
- Tripe

Plus other British slang words for e.g. something that sucks.

- Dribble
- Kip (slang for "sleep" or "nap")
- Stink
- Smell
- Annoy(ing/ed)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 8:15 am

ret*d or ret*d. Those words hurt more than anything.