Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AusWolf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2016, 4:45 pm

It might seem weird that a man opens this discussion, but anyway... :D

I've noticed that men's deodorant scents tend to be awful. I don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but here in Hungary, every man is obsessed with sprays, especially Axe and Old Spice that I really hate. I use a Garnier roll-on because I can tolerate its scent, and it doesn't stink up my room like sprays do. I live in a dorm room with two other guys, and they both use Axe sprays that make me suffocate. I have to ask them to open the window every time they use their sprays. I also tend to hold my breath when a really "manly" smelling man passes me by.

What do you guys think? Are you also annoyed by deodorant sprays that are advertised as having manly and attractive scents? Or is it just my hypersensitivity to scents and smells?

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 4:53 pm

I think it may be the sensitivity because I experience the same thing.
Scents are so strong to me I can taste them in my mouth.
It makes me want to gag and I have to leave the room if someone sprays, or hold my breath if someone passes by with a scent cloud.
No one else seems to be bothered by it.
They'll say, "That smells nice."
To me it's way too overpowering to smell anything but offensive.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 5:57 pm

Raleigh wrote:
They'll say, "That smells nice."
To me it's way too overpowering to smell anything but offensive.

Sometimes I wonder if people pretend not to notice that someone has used too much cologne/perfume. I know it's not just my sensitive nose acting up! Some people use waaaay too much.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

12 Feb 2016, 11:20 pm

I hate the smell of em & am prone to allergy & sinus problems so I never 1ce used deodorant or cologne

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 12:34 am

I use Axe deoderant stick, the spray bothers me and makes me choke. I can't really stand any sprays, deoderants, febreeze or otherwise. I don't really think the axe I use smells at all unless I stick my head right to my armpit. I prefer people just didn't smell, good or bad.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 1:56 am

Pat on some bicarbonate of soda after you wash and your armpit is still a bit damp.
You'll never smell in any way.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 2:22 am

No sprays for me. Roll-on only. I like the Speed-stick sport talc. Some roll-ons like Old Spice irritate my skin and make it turn red.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 5:12 am

I cannot stand most scented products, including those intended to be mild in scent. I have very few that I'll tolerate. Many men's scented products are quite strong-smelling.

I don't see why a man can't use women's deodorant. I think there are some that are very lightly scented that also don't smell too "girly".

AusWolf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Feb 2016, 6:30 am

Noca wrote:
I use Axe deoderant stick, the spray bothers me and makes me choke. I can't really stand any sprays, deoderants, febreeze or otherwise. I don't really think the axe I use smells at all unless I stick my head right to my armpit. I prefer people just didn't smell, good or bad.

That reminds me of the time I spent in Finland. People there really didn't smell. I don't know how they did it, but it was such a relief! When I came home after 5 months, I got confronted with all those smells that I had forgotten about. It came to me as a shock. :( My stomach hurt a lot because of all the strong smells and tastes in Hungary.

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 10:46 am

I personally don't like a lot of the perfume that's for women. They're usually too strong and smell too floral or musky. I prefer fruity scents you can find at Bath & Body Works. I don't use the body sprays I have often and I don't use much when I do. I want to smell pleasant, not overwhelm someone. I also use regular women's deodorant. I think Suave and Secret are the best brands that keep my arm pits from getting all smelly.

Even though I don't like a lot of perfume, I do like scented lip gloss and some scented candles. My mom burns scented waxes/candles sometimes.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 8:36 pm

I find practically all deodorant scents marketed to men and women to be overpowering and terrible. (Same for all the "fragrance" in soap, shampoo, hair products, dish soap, laundry detergent, etc.)

I use coconut oil mixed with baking soda as deodorant. It smells a little bit like shortbread cookies.

Love transcends all.