Page 2 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:04 pm

Darmok wrote:
Some young people don't know what the World Trade Center buildings looked like. They were the 2nd and 3rd tollest buildings in the country.

I think it was in that same month that a distant relative from America came over, and had bought me a snowglobe of New York City and it had the twin towers in it. It was strange afterwards everytime I looked at it. I'm not sure if I've still got it. I was 13.

On the day itself I had just been accepted into a different school and it was good news, so I wasn't sure what to feel. In general I hated that year, it was probably the strangest year of my life, unrelated to 9/11.

...I've just realised what you've said. Well, my post is unrelated but here it is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:13 pm

I was sleeping. There were guests in my apartment who had the TV on. They were, of course, covering the WTC attacks. I heard something about planes crashing into the WTC, but I thought I was dreaming.

I woke up to the coverage. I saw the 2nd plane crash. I was shocked and numb. I wanted to go to work--but I'm couldn't. All subway service was cancelled to the area (I work about a mile from the WTC site.

They were talking about potentially 50,000 people dying. It turned out that a little less than 3,000 died. That's still too many! I was relieved that it wasn't 50,000, though.

There was no work for 4 days. I had to work in the Bronx for two weeks. Cops asked for ID for about a week if you wanted to go south of 14th Street.

The scent of the attacks lasted about a week in Qieens.

I felt like we were really a strong country. After a week, life reverted to normal. I felt sure civil liberties might be reduced for us--but they weren't. I am so proud that we, as a country, did not let the terrorists win this round, despite the 3,000 martyrs who died for our freedom and way of life.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:20 pm

Many people were trapped on the upper floors and couldn't get out before the buildings collapsed.

There Are Four Lights!

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:22 pm

I was just 3 years old. I don't remember it at all. My mom tells me I wondered why my parents had the TV on all the time.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:41 pm

TheAP wrote:
I was just 3 years old. I don't remember it at all. My mom tells me I wondered why my parents had the TV on all the time.

I was 6 years old when President Kennedy was assassinated and I still remember bieng angry my cartoons were prempted all weekend.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 1:45 pm

Darmok wrote:
Many people were trapped on the upper floors and couldn't get out before the buildings collapsed.

:( F***ing awful.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 2:07 pm

I thought too bad they didn't have parachutes. That would have saved many lives. I thought maybe all tall buildings should start carrying them on each floor for in case a plane crashes into the building or of there is any fire so they can all jump out the window and land safely on the ground.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 2:15 pm

I remember when they first made a movie about this day starring Nicolas Cage my first boyfriend was not very happy about it because he believed the terrorists did 9/11 so we would make a movie about it and to get attention from all of it. I knew that was bull because they did it because they hated us and wanted to attack us, not so we can make a bunch of movies about it an make money off of that day. But I wonder if this thinking was part of his illness?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 2:18 pm

Many people did jump out of windows from the upper floors.

There Are Four Lights!

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

11 Sep 2016, 2:20 pm

I was in school, I was in special ed class around the time I first heard about it I remember they started playing the news on all the overhead t.vs, I believe I was in science class when the second plane hit and the school decided to send everyone home for the day after that. This is what I remember, but I don't know how accurate it is that day was surreal for me and probably many others. I have a hard time seeing the videos of people jumping from the building but that is the reality of it, I feel very sorry for those people and everyone else who was personally involved as victims of the attack that day.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 2:28 pm

More than 300 New York firefighters died in the attacks. Civilians were running away from the buildings; the firefighters were running toward them.

There Are Four Lights!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 2:45 pm

I find the pictures instructive.

arachnids
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2016, 2:54 pm

I was working a morning shift at a nursing home and was doing the drug round when it came on the morning tv news. We all stopped working and just stared at the programme in disbelief. It was horrifying and we just couldn't believe it was happening.

I am not taking the damn Venlafaxine!

On Propranolol

I like cats, trees and spiders.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act' George Orwell

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 3:16 pm

New York was not the only place attacked that day. A third hijacked airliner was flown into the side of the Pentagon in Washington, DC.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 3:44 pm

The fourth hijacked plane on 9/11/2001 is believed to have been on its way to destroy the US Capitol building in Washington, DC.

Passengers being held in the rear of the plane learned about the attacks in New York and Washington via their cell phones and realized that their plane was also part of this coordinated assault. They stormed the front of the plane with makeshift weapons and attempted to seize the cockpit, which forced the terrorist pilot to crash in a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania. The plane is thought to have hit the ground at more than 500 mph.

There Are Four Lights!

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 4:05 pm

I was seven years old and in elementary school. I remember we all had to go outside and everybody thought it was a fire drill and then later reading in the newspaper the next day about what really had happened.