Page 3 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 4:05 pm

I was seven years old and in elementary school. I remember we all had to go outside and everybody thought it was a fire drill and then later reading in the newspaper the next day about what really had happened.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

11 Sep 2016, 4:55 pm

I was at home 27 miles south of the Pentagon. I had just got back from Canada the day before. Had I not still been on vacation I would have been working in the Pentagon during the attack.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 7:18 pm

In New York in the days after 9/11, people posted photos of missing friends and loved ones who hadn't been seen since the attacks, hoping to find information that they might still be alive. Five years later, 24 people were still listed as missing. Many victims had been confirmed only by DNA analysis of tissue fragments found in the building wreckage.

There Are Four Lights!

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 7:45 pm

I was in my first grade classroom.

My mother was on her way to my grandmother's house with my younger sister.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 8:39 pm

In all, nearly 3000 people were killed on 9/11/2001, including citizens of 90 countries. It was the deadliest attack on US soil since the attack on Pearl Harbor in World War II, and the deadliest single terrorist attack in world history. The 19 Islamic terrorists responsible were also killed.

There Are Four Lights!

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 2:11 am

Quote:
The 19 Islamic terrorists responsible were also killed

I'm pleasantly surprised someone mentioned this. In all the talk on this topic usually, this point is conveniently overlooked.
Maybe it's unpopular of me, but honestly, atrocities are committed every day all around the world and don't get singled out like this one does. Just because to happened in America? Not Africa or the Congo?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 2:13 am

Quote:
where were you on 9/11/2001

i wasn't there officer! i had nothing to do with it!! god i hope someone can corroborate my alibi....

b9
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 2:20 am

actually i was asleep in bed at about 2am and the TV was still on, and i woke up to see the 2 world trade centres on fire and i thought "hmmm another sci fi movie coming out....ho hummm", then i rolled over to go back to sleep, and i thought "actually that was exceptional computer generated graphics", and so i decided to roll back to watch some more of it and i thought "bloody hell! if this is a movie, it is the best graphics i have ever seen".
then i came to alert and saw that it was real (after changing channels to see if it was on all stations), and i watched the rest with spellbound awe.
before the buildings collapsed, it looked bad enough, but i thought that they would get water bombers (like the dc-10 ones) in from somewhere to douse the flames and there would be casualties, and the buildings would be in need of severe repair, but when they collapsed it just took on a new dimension.

it was savage to think of all those lives being crushed in those falling buildings.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 3:34 pm

On 9/11/2001, I was getting ready to go to school and watching the events being broadcasted on live TV. Like many, I watched the second plane hit the South Tower. Given my age at the time {I was 11 years old}, I didn't understand what happened in NYC even after I arrived at school. The principal said over the intercom, "Students, there has been an attack in New York City. Please understand there is no immediate threat to Portland." Like many of my peers, I knew something big had happened in NYC, but it didn't sink in for me until school was dismissed for the day.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 3:50 pm

I don't remember exactly the day it happened, but it happened when I had not long started secondary school.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 4:32 pm

I was 13 year old and I just went back from school when mom called me in front of TV to show me what happened. I remember I felt... excited... and wanted to know more. It triggered special interest feelings and I watched every TV program about it for next a few weeks. My mom couldn't understand how I can smile at such tragedy and neither did I - all I knew was it was really exciting and a smile just sneaked into my face when I seen the disaster. It was my first time seeing such a tragedy. So many people died. So high buildings collapsed. So much smoke. And the terrorism... before that I though terrorism is something that can happen only in movies. I wondered how it would be like to be inside the towers. How I would react. How many people were evacuated and how the evacuation went. I pictured what happened in those planes... All this was just too interesting, living little brain resources for compassion.

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 4:34 pm

At IBM Rochester MN Offices getting ready to start work.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 12:11 am

There Are Four Lights!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 2:27 am

At home, watching TV, waiting for a call from a shrink to finish my neuropsych testing. I remember long silences on the TV because the newscasters didn't know any more than the audience did.

There hasn't been a war on American soil since 1865, so it's been multiple generations who have had no living memory of war on one's own soil. So, I can see a kid getting upset. In the big picture, though, yeah, there was The Blitz, Dresden, Hiroshima -- 3,000 isn't a lot by world-atrocity standards. 60 million in WW2.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Sep 2018, 8:25 am

I was in California driving to work and listening to Howard Stern on the radio. They were talking about how a plane had hit one of the towers. I thought they meant a small plane and was wondering how dumb someone had to be to whack into a giant skyscraper. I didn't realize the scale of it and figured it was a tragic accident.

Then they stated that it was a 747 and I thought, "Ooooo, now THAT'S really bad." But I still thought it was an accident.

Then they interviewed a woman who had seen it happen. All of a sudden she screamed that a second 747 had just hit the other tower and everyone on air just fell silent. I knew then that it was no accident.

When I got into the office I heard that the Pentagon had been hit and another plane had crashed on the way to Washington D.C. One of my coworkers said, "We're under attack!" and I just nodded because I couldn't say anything.

We were right next to an airport and all flights in the entire country were immediately canceled and grounded. I remember that eerie silence because I had become so accustomed to the sound of planes droning overhead and suddenly there was nothing. It was silent for 3 days.

I also remember the poor candy man. He was a kind elderly man of Middle Eastern origin who came to our building every week to sell candy, popcorn, nuts and little stuffed animals. All of a sudden several of my coworkers would no longer buy from him, like it was somehow all his fault. I felt bad about that and bought more from him to try to make up for it even though I couldn't really afford it. Eventually he stopped coming by.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2018, 8:30 am

I was 40 years old. I was sleeping when the first plane hit. I was watching CNN when the second plane hit.

I worked nights then. So I had no work, and no work for another week. I worked about a mile from Ground Zero.