Page 1 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

mikie1091
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2016, 9:45 pm

i was in school i was only 9 years old i remember them saying no recess that day i was a kid i was like why they told us it was too violent too talk about its when i got home i found out what happened i cried my eyes out i wanted too help those people yes i was 9 years old but i get along with everyone and death scares me and makes me sad i feel so bad that those good people lost there lifes i will always remember 9/11 as the worst day ever i had nightmares that night and i cried and cried lots my mom helped comfort me because i felt bad that people had too die my mom told me they were safe with god and i felt a little better where were you at on 9/11 :( :( :cry:

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 10:04 pm

mikie1091 wrote:
i was in school i was only 9 years old i remember them saying no recess that day i was a kid i was like why they told us it was too violent too talk about its when i got home i found out what happened i cried my eyes out i wanted too help those people yes i was 9 years old but i get along with everyone and death scares me and makes me sad i feel so bad that those good people lost there lifes i will always remember 9/11 as the worst day ever i had nightmares that night and i cried and cried lots my mom helped comfort me because i felt bad that people had too die my mom told me they were safe with god and i felt a little better where were you at on 9/11 :( :( :cry:

The loss of human life is ALWAYS sad and I believe in the sanctity of human life, but holy hell I am American and other Americans LOOOVE to get on their damned soap-boxes and act as if these American lives were ESPECIALLY important or tragic- no they weren't. The millions that die from floods, starvation, a part of human trafficking- or hell even more related, the people that have died in American wars (the recent ones obviously) are tragic, but no one seems to give two s**ts about those- but nope 9/11 and ... suddenly the room must go quiet and the world stops spins on it's damned axis. :roll:

If that's the saddest day of your life- what did you think of the holocaust or maybe female infanticide in china or the rwanda genocide or any of the deaths America is responsible for? Why don't we think about those?
What about mothers and children that die from domestic violence in brutal ways? Ignorant of those? Are those sad? Why doesn't anyone talk ad-nausea about that on the radio or news? Why aren't any of these other things lodged in the public conscious, but 9/11 <- it's practically like an international day of mourning. Why not any other pain?

(rhetorical questions FYI- also not undermining the suffering people felt in relation to 9/11 just pointing out that similarly to the way people react to statistically insignificant events like plane crashes for example it resonates more even though there are more common place or relavent things going on)

Also, I was in school too- but didn't understand it or the implications even one iota the day it happened. Later on (obviously) I did.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 10:46 pm

I was asleep during both attacks on the World Trade Center.

Both times my father called and woke me up. He called to see if I was ok since they had no idea what my schedule was. The second time I walked out of my apartment to see the smoke and saw people chanting and reveling in the destruction.

As far as 9/11 goes, the people were not heroes in the buildings by and large. There were heroes: The firefighters who went in, the police who went in and the few that had a head on their shoulders and helped people get out. But many were victims.

And that should not be glossed over.

As harsh as it may sound though, Unfortunate_Aspie_ is correct to put it into a perspective on global scales. Millions perished under Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Kim (all 3) and it gets swept under the rug because it's not on our soil.

The big difference this time is that our brave military are not coming back to chants of baby killers and such. The sad thing is that the government that sent them out are failing drastically on their obligation to our armed forces.

It was terrible for Americans. It shattered an illusion of safety. But it is nothing compared to what is, and has been going on in the rest of the world.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

mikie1091
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2016, 10:48 pm

ok i guess i dont understand

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 12:15 am

In last period 7th grade science class (in a pavilion). I kept asking what was going on. When someone finally told me, I couldn't understand why it was such a big deal.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 12:50 am

I was volunteering at an old folks home and I was watching the morning news with some of the tenants. Everyone in the room was discussing what was going on. I felt guilty about all the things I've said about Americans between 1986 and 2001.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 12:59 am

I had just woken up after a long shift the previous evening. I was in a fog as I watched it unfold on the tv. it was unreal.

crazybunnylady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Apr 2016, 1:29 am

I was working for an insurance company and was on the phone to a man from Direct Line insurance, he interrupted the call to tell me that a plane had crashed into one of the towers of the WTC. I didn't know what that was so I didn't think anything of it. I didn't have a TV then and made a point of not reading any news, had just moved into a new house so I didn't have any internet. It was months later, when I saw it on TV at a friend's house that I realised how serious it was.

What do people think about the possibility of it being an inside job?

Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 15/06/2016

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 1:40 am

crazybunnylady wrote:
I was working for an insurance company and was on the phone to a man from Direct Line insurance, he interrupted the call to tell me that a plane had crashed into one of the towers of the WTC. I didn't know what that was so I didn't think anything of it. I didn't have a TV then and made a point of not reading any news, had just moved into a new house so I didn't have any internet. It was months later, when I saw it on TV at a friend's house that I realised how serious it was.

What do people think about the possibility of it being an inside job?

on tonight's "coast to coastAM" they are talking about this NOW.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 5:22 am

It's not an inside job. The conspiracy theorists are going nuts over this one. Between faulty logic, bad education on certain, if not many things about how things really work...y'know, sciencey stuff and strange tenuous threads of logic that almost make sense until you really examine them.

Conspiracy theories in general:

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 6:59 am

Not Alive. :lol:

diablo291
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2016, 7:31 am

I would of still been a baby at that point.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 8:11 am

i was asleep with the TV on (as usual) when i awoke and saw on it the event in progress.

at first i was quite sleepy and opened one eye to see what was on, and i noticed a world trade tower on fire and presumed it was a computer animation.
then i woke slightly more and started to wonder if this was a sneak preview of an upcoming movie.
i thought that the quality of the "CG" was exceptional. the smoke was billowing slowly and with various changes in vector that would correspond to wind corridors given the other buildings and their effect on the turbulence of the smoke in the surrounding area.
i thought "this is quite an extraordinary attention to detail" because the speed of the smoke would bore movie goers, but nevertheless is very much more realistic than the thrill type of sequencing of disasters in most movies.
i was impressed.
i turned up the sound and heard the commentary and saw the ticker tape on the bottom of the screen, and i was astounded at the realism of the presentation, and thought i will definitely watch this movie when it comes out.

then i started to think it was a very long scene for a movie (movies cater for ADD people mainly), and then i read the tape which had the current date in it, and i thought "s**t! either this movie is designed to be released on this day, or this may be real".

then it dawned on me that the attention to minute details in the presentation was beyond the scope of any movie production, and so i then became alert to the reality of it.

wow. then a second one slammed into the second building. "BY GEORGE ! !!", i thought (words failed me).

the trade centers were the main focus of my astonishment and i did not really think of the little humans in them.

i was not expecting them to come down, but when one started to collapse, i thought "there goes the familiar skyline of new york ! what a momentus thing"

then the second one came down and i was wondering what else would happen, but then i thought of the trade centres in my flight simulator, and since a new version of flight simulator was due to be released, i hoped that they would not remove them from the game. they did. the bastards.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 8:16 am

I was home sleeping. My wife had guests who had the TV on.

I thought I was dreaming when I started hearing about the planes hitting the World Trade Center. I couldn't believe it.

For some reason, I didn't get all panicky. Except that I thought I would have to show ID all the time. And I would not be able to go to work. It screwed with my routine.

And I thought Muslims would really start to get discriminated against.

I wasn't relieved when it was 3,000 people rather than 50,000 who perished. One death is too much.

The smell of the explosions reached to my area of Queens, which is about 14 miles from Ground Zero.

invisibleboy
Raven
Raven

07 Apr 2016, 10:00 am

The conspiracy theories actually fascinate me. I live in Canada, and I was in Grade 12 when it happened. My history teacher was the type of teacher who would do innovative things like dress in costume for class, so when he came in and told us that planes had hit the WTC I think most of the class assumed it was a teaching tool for a few seconds. All I remember about the rest of the day was that there was a TV set up in the library showing the news constantly and people were free to sit and watch on their spare periods. I spent a lot of time there.

Two years later I was in NYC with family and the friend we were staying with took us to ground zero. It was a very solemn occasion, and I remember trying to understand the magnitude of it.

everybody's playing the game
but nobody's rules are the same
nobody's on nobody's side

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 10:03 am

I was at work and it was a fairly sunny day.
My boss grabbed a TV from out back and we ended up just watching the live reports for the rest of the afternoon.
Didn't seem real at the time!