Out-Of-Body Experience When Socializing

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2007, 10:54 pm

Do you ever get an out-of-body experience when you're trying to socialze with people who make you uncomfortable? I haven't had this happen to me in quite a while, but it used to happen every time I forced myself to be around people I knew were judging me. I could hear myself saying things, but I felt totally disconnected from what was happening, as if I were standing next to myself and watching this person (ME) interact. It was a little scary. I have no idea how I appeared to the people on the other side of the conversation.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 11:14 pm

Quote:
Diagnostic criteria for 300.6 Depersonalization Disorder

A. Persistent or recurrent experiences of feeling detached from, and as if one is an outside observer of, one's mental processes or body (e.g., feeling like one is in a dream).

B. During the depersonalization experience, reality testing remains intact.

C. The depersonalization causes clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D. The depersonalization experience does not occur exclusively during the course of another mental disorder, such as Schizophrenia, Panic Disorder, Acute Stress Disorder, or another Dissociative Disorder, and is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., temporal lobe epilepsy).

That's what I thought was wrong with me, before learning about Asperger's.

It seems a lot of us feel it.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2007, 11:24 pm

I never heard it called by that name. Thanks for the information! I looked it up on Wikepedia, after seeing your post.

"Depersonalization disorder often begins in the late teens or early twenties and usually resolves itself by age 30."

This explains why it doesn't happen the way it did when I was younger. Since I turned 30, it has only happened one time, right after the birth of my youngest child, off/on for 2-3 days. I'm sure that instance had to do with extreme sleep deprivation.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 11:31 pm

Every damn time I socialize...every damn minute of the day to some extant.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 May 2007, 11:32 pm

Danielismyname wrote:

Are you under thirty? If so, there's hope that it will get better.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2007, 11:49 pm

Danielismyname wrote:

I am 43 and still feel like this most of the time.Granted,it was worse in my late teens and twenties but is still there to some extent in any social situation and most of the time(even at home alone)....

,,,all the world is but a dream

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2007, 12:08 am

25...a lot of professionals have said my anxiety state will lessen as I get older, too bad I don't care about the future. :?

It's all one big dream I'm certain I won't wake up from; it's an interesting dream though....