Lines of gemination and lengthening

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 6:00 pm

We're going to make lines taking advantage of a couple things in American English. First, we look at geminate consonants, which are not phonemic, but are used across morpheme and word boundaries (like mid-day, where the d in the middle is long). Second, we look at the lengthening of vowels before voiced consonants, followed by the merger of d and t before vowels into an alveolar tap (this is a feature of American English). (For example, "matter" and "madder" are pronounced the same in American English except for the lengthening of the vowel before "madder".)

Here are some I thought were fun:

Quote:
A named person is not unnamed.
Little Miss Peak did not misspeak.
This night rain isn't gonna stop the night train.
That grating sound you make, that's not what they're grading.
It's not my fault Humpty Dumpty took a great fall.

Notice the differences in pronunciaton of "a named" vs. "unnamed", "Miss Peak" vs. "misspeak", "night rain" vs. "night train", "grating" vs. "grading", and "fault" vs. "fall". I'm coming at this from an American's perspective, so the same trick may not work in other dialects of English.

Last edited by beneficii on 20 Jun 2016, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 6:19 pm

Sounds like you're really into applied linguistics.