Strange Coins and Currency of the World

Page 23 of 30 [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 30  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 9:48 am

The famous 1943 steel pennies, struck to save copper for WWII use.

There Are Four Lights!

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2019, 11:01 am

Some hoodoo practioners in the south believe they can cure warts by buying off the warts with copper pennies. The afflicted hands you a penny and you rub the penny on their warts to make them go away. My mom wiuld tell me how my great grandmother used to do that as a home remedy.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 2:46 pm

Ferrets, ferrets everywhere.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2019, 7:45 pm

Speaking of money rendered worthless, as we were in another thread...

There Are Four Lights!

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 5:30 am

^I take it they are collectibles now?

This is a White Fiver, they didn't go out of circ till 1957 but are very collectible now.

I think they're pretty (minimal changed from 1793) but maybe not so practical, here's a comparison pic with a modern fiver.

Although, £5 today is less than min wage per hour (£8.21) where as when the White Fivers came out in 1793 it was enough to employ a head house maid for a full year although you still had to house and feed her on top of that.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 5:34 am

When you change presidents do you issue new notes with them on or do only previous (long dead) presidents go on your money?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 6:11 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
When you change presidents do you issue new notes with them on or do only previous (long dead) presidents go on your money?

No. We Americans don't change the faces on our money every four or eight years just because there is a new president.

No living person is allowed to have their face on US currency. And in my half century plus lifetime the faces on the paper money have not changed at all. Same damned faces: Washington, Lincoln, Hamilton, etc.

They don't put faces of living folks on coins either. But there is one coin in the US currency that keeps on dying out, and being reborn, and on that coin they do experiment with new faces. That coin is the whole dollar coin. We used to have silver dollars (with miss liberty), then we had Susan B. Anthony (the suffergette), and for a while we had Sackajewa (the First Nations woman who helped Lewis and Clark).

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 7:53 am

^Thanks. Other than the monarch everyone has to be dead on ours. Same with stamps.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2019, 11:50 am

fluffysaurus wrote:
When you change presidents do you issue new notes with them . . .

Good heavens no. You monarchists do that sort of thing; we republicans do not. In fact, no actual person of any kind appeared on US coins until the Lincoln (centennial) cent in 1909, and that was initially intended to be temporary.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 3:35 pm

Pretty!

There Are Four Lights!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 5:52 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:

Some of them aren't even presidents.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 5:56 pm

Only 5 of these are known to exist iirc

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 8:09 pm

EzraS wrote:
Only 5 of these are known to exist iirc

Correct! Well, correct apart from the two I have in my underground vault, yes.

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 8:15 pm

EzraS wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

ALERT: We interrupt this thread for an important national security alert. I have this evening uncovered the nefarious plot being orchestrated by Fluffy and her minions to undermine the entire US economy!

There I was in the store buying my discount meatloaf dinner, and as I left and looked at the change I received, what did I find but this counterfeit, masquerading as a dime! The plan is obvious: they are infiltrating these worthless tokens into our system, and then once all the American money has been replaced, they will expose the plan and all we have in our banks will be declared worthless. The whole global elite is controlling this at Fluffy's direction, I am sure. Wake up sheeple! 8O 8O

There Are Four Lights!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 4:19 am

Darmok wrote:
EzraS wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

ALERT: We interrupt this thread for an important national security alert. I have this evening uncovered the nefarious plot being orchestrated by Fluffy and her minions to undermine the entire US economy!

There I was in the store buying my discount meatloaf dinner, and as I left and looked at the change I received, what did I find but this counterfeit, masquerading as a dime! The plan is obvious: they are infiltrating these worthless tokens into our system, and then once all the American money has been replaced, they will expose the plan and all we have in our banks will be declared worthless. The whole global elite is controlling this at Fluffy's direction, I am sure. Wake up sheeple! 8O 8O

Well played!
:lmao: :money:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 4:34 am

Went to a thrift shop yesterday, and some random dude asked me out of nowhere if I was interested in a Karl XI 1666 1/6 öre coin. So...that happened.