Bought my first Ken Foster tonight

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 1:29 am

Painting, that is.

I’ve yet to meet Ken but I hope to. He’s a very talented artist that paints a lot of Vancouver cityscapes, alleys, and other subjects.

He’s above the average age for life expectancy for someone who lives where he does and does the substance he does, which is good he’s still living but sad that it’s like that. The substance use is part of what spurred me to buy this painting and keep my eye out for others I like.. because he won’t live forever and eventually there’ll be no more new works.

He’s becoming fairly well known and is called “Vancouver’s Van Gogh,” for good reason. People buy his art for what he sells it for in the moment, sometimes as little as a slice of pizza and others $100-150, maybe more for larger pieces, and then it sometimes ends up on gallery walls for multiple times the price tag.

I asked a friend of his to put in a commission request, which he will relay, but the guy is notorious for flaking out and selling the work to someone else within arm’s reach kind of thing. So, if he paints what I asked for (for a gift for my twin brother as it’s his favourite local artist and he wants a particular building scene painted.) then I’ll pay him and his friend well for it.

Anyways, this one is about 1’ x over 8’ tall, spray paint, pencil & paint on corruplast sign board sliced from a Vancouver property development proposal sign :lol: which is apparently one of his favourite mediums. (Another I saw was on cardboard and two others on wood.) Apparently it’s one of his famous works that’s sought after (I guess he’s drawn/painted many iterations of it - I think a friend has one.) that he calls “How many homies does it take to change a lightbulb?”

8)

It’s in my home now. I’m certainly going to buy others - missed out on a cityscape I loved as someone else bought it first. But yeah, I can imagine buying several more - especially if I Really like them.. 1 for super legit Real authentic local art coming from the epicentre of the DTES craziness & 2 because it’s pretty much instantly worth more than it costs, and eventually when he’s no longer creating new works, they’ll all be worth significantly more money. (But I’m sure I’ll have a hard time parting with any I Really like.. still kinda nice to know they’re sought after already now and will only appreciate.)

beady
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 1:36 am

It takes me time to process my response to art (or anything) but first impression is I particularly like the water - his translation and the color is transfixing.
But I’m not at all sure if that’s part of his work. Trying to figure out the picture. His chain of humans (?) is very cool.
Thanks for sharing!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 1:42 am

beady wrote:
It takes me time to process my response to art (or anything) but first impression is I particularly like the water - his translation and the color is transfixing.
But I’m not at all sure if that’s part of his work. Trying to figure out the picture. His chain of humans (?) is very cool.
Thanks for sharing!

Water, eh?

Maybe if it’s raining. :)

It’s a human chain/stack ascending up a lamp post for the top guy to be able to reach the lightbulb.. hence the name “How many homies does it take to change a lightbulb?”

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 9:20 am

Sort of reminds me of the painting which inspired Impressionism: "Impression, Sunrise."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 12:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sort of reminds me of the painting which inspired Impressionism: "Impression, Sunrise."

I had to google it. I can see how the colour scheme gradient is a bit similar, but not the style as this background was spray painted.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 1:07 pm

That's a very cool painting. 8)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 1:47 pm

Remember: I said it "sort of" reminded me of Monet's painting :)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 4:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Remember: I said it "sort of" reminded me of Monet's painting :)

Fair! And I can see what ya mean by the sky colour gradient. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2022, 4:34 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
That's a very cool painting. 8)

Indeed!

I missed out on another one I wanted. I’m definitely going to end up buying several over time. I like his style And they’re a good “investment,” should I ever want/need to resell them.