Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 1:25 pm

i know i'm in the dark ages, but i just inserted the photo stick from my digital camera into my pc. i think i remember that in the past, the photos just showed up, but nothing happened this time. i checked photos, downloads, and this PC. can anyone help me? also tried all those things on my husband's newer pc. no luck. also checked the camera manual. no help.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 2:04 pm

Well it depends on what version of Windows you use but you need to probably access the memory card manually.

With Windows 7 that is Start -> Computer and you should see a list of drives, the C: drive is almost always the hard drive thats in the computer so try some of the others until you find your digital camera. Drive D: and E: and F: are all candidates for other devices. If your not real tech savvy then if you tell me your windows version I can make a picture guide that should be pretty easy to follow.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 3:30 pm

thanks. windows 10.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 6:38 pm

when i go to this PC, it shows the flash drive (G)(husband has word documents), the recovery drive (D), the DVR drive (E), and the OS (C) drive and no others.

i had windows 7 when the photos just used to show up on inserting the drive.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 6:58 pm

also used "search this PC" for F and H drives

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 7:32 pm

Memory card readers can be kind of finicky, and to be honest, Windows 10 is still going through its "teething" period so driver support may not be there. This is one of the main reasons why I was not impressed with Micro$oft trying to force it on people.

Anyway, I'd recommend picking up an external card reader. They're usually not too expensive, though the absolute bargain basement ones often aren't very well made.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 10:04 pm

got help from microsoft. everything is solved. they told me to press the windows key and x. then select disk manager from the menu. then i found the F drive.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 11:20 pm

I didn't think sticking a memory stick from a camera into a PC was dark age :oops: So I guess I'm there with you.
I'm curious which photo software did you use? I'm interested in going on Instagram (for art style photos though, not just inexplicable photos of my own head) but unsure which photo software would be useful for manipulating images. Which is worth paying for, which is downloadable for free, etc.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2016, 11:28 pm

i only have the software that comes with windows. up-to-date is taking a photo with your smartphone, emailing it to yourself, and downloading from the email.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 3:10 pm

cathylynn wrote:
got help from microsoft. everything is solved. they told me to press the windows key and x. then select disk manager from the menu. then i found the F drive.

That's kind of backwards and arcane. I really hate having to give people tech support on Windows 10 since I don't use it, and since they've changed so much about it. When I tell people to go to "My Computer" they have no idea what I'm talking about, because there IS no "My Computer" anymore. :P

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 3:16 pm

on windows 10, there's a file folder icon on the bottom task bar that gets you where "my computer" used to.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 3:19 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

That's kind of backwards and arcane. I really hate having to give people tech support on Windows 10 since I don't use it, and since they've changed so much about it. When I tell people to go to "My Computer" they have no idea what I'm talking about, because there IS no "My Computer" anymore. :P

Well its not prefect but at the very least Windows 10 is decent compared to Vista and Windows 8. I like the direction they are going minus all the spying but every tech company is spying now days if you take the time to read the fine print. Windows 10 has better performance with benchmarks at least then Windows 7. I have used much worse versions of almost every type of operating system so Windows 10 is acceptable to me. I don't like how its broken but it is better then some of their releases. I would say its stable if they would fix the user index bug and if you don't know what I am talking about, in Windows 10 your user can become corrupt to the point you can't open anything and the only solution is to migrate to a new user. This has happen four times to me in three different installs and seems to happen more on live Microsoft accounts.