What do you most admire in people?

Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Henbane
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 5:09 pm

I admire people who are truly compassionate and kind to others and actually mean it.

I also admire bravery, and the ability to speak the truth when it is unpopular.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 5:25 pm

Integrity, courage, kindness and respect for other people/for other species/for the planet.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 6:19 pm

Integrity, patience, diplomacy, kindness.

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

Tinchi
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Sep 2016, 6:42 am

Open-mindedness, you know, being able to see things from another perspective and not flipping out and trying to force them into your way of thinking.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 6:56 am

Honesty, intelligence, creativity, humor, and the ability to live and let live.
But most of all honesty. Because really, even if someone's a total azzhat I can at least respect their being upfront about it. But if someone's a fake, I don't like them no matter how pleasantly they lie.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 7:01 am

I admire those who are truly empathetic and kind.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 12:17 pm

The quality of those who go far beyond to make another human feel worthwhile and meaningful always gets me, those who try to make up for hurting or causing some negative emotion with you, no matter how clumsy, that they try and feel upset for it is the important part, those who believe in people when they are walking through treacherous waves and are not shining as brightly as they can, these types of people kinda hold their hand and urge them to persist. Sharp people who have wits like the beaks of seagulls, they keep me on my toes with their constant probing.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 3:10 pm

Henbane wrote:
I also admire bravery, and the ability to speak the truth when it is unpopular.

That's why I've come to admire many bullies, including those who used to bully me. I'd never have the courage to try to bully anyone, let alone to defend my bullying publicly in the face of its unpopularity, faithful to the principle that whatever can be destroyed by the truth, should be, such as the lives of those weeded out by natural selection for being too weak.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

fourcandles
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2016, 3:28 pm

Intelligence without ego. A warped sense of humour.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Oct 2016, 4:46 pm

Looks. First thing I see, then I suppose someone who doesn't judge people. I find very admirable

AlmostHuman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Oct 2016, 10:44 pm

Skepticism and intellectual humility. I respect people who are willing to check all the facts -- especially in regard to popularly held beliefs -- before reaching a conclusion. People who are able to say "I don't know" about things they haven't personally verified, rather than immediately form a strong belief (or more often, grab a popular one) and passionately defend it to the death, preferably someone else's.

Similarly, I admire self-honesty, or at least those who make the effort to avoid self-deceit. It's not always easy to see the truth about oneself just by looking for it -- the subconscious works hard to keep people in comfortable illusions -- but it's the attempt that counts. I admire people who take pains to view themselves from every angle, and who realize that even from an apparently detached perspective their conception of who they are might be a little rose-tinted.

littlecatinthewindow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 10:17 am

That fact that there are a lot of people who are willing to help others, even if it doesn't matter if we don't. Especially with animals, it amazes me that you can get a job that involves looking after animals and treating their injuries and illnesses even though their bodies are different to those of humans, just because we feel for them.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Oct 2016, 10:27 am

perseverance, empathy, sacrifice, open mindedness

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 10:40 am

Loyalty. Devotion. Dependability. People who do what they say they will, always, without exception, simply from personal ethics. Someone who's word is truly rock solid and that aspect is a central part of who they are as a person.

Perseverance. People who are still fighting despite the s**ts life has taken on them. People who despite all their difficulties, all the battlescars (we all have them, some more than others but we all do) still have the fight to not give up even if they sometimes lack the strength or motivation to care. They fake it. Because they're fighters. And that's what they do.

Self-sacrifice. Hard working. People who will do anything for the people they love, even if it means driving their won selves into the ground in the process.

Confident/Charismatic. I envy alpha-male confidence and covet that personality trait more than any other in other people. I generally hate those type people because I envy their ability to be that way. I've attempted to replicate this throughout my life in different ways, and can occasionally fake it pretty well, but it's very artificial and uncomfortable. Some people just have it and that makes me envy them.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 10:09 pm

OdysseusNemo wrote:
Thanx C2V:

What I most admire in people is joie de vivre. Being happy as policy and not being afraid to show it. Watching happy people is beautiful -- doesnt matter who they are or why their happy. Children playing. Couples who are actually in hot erotic love each other (rare). Successful businesspeople petting the cash drawer. Artists who have made doing what they love work...

I remember seeing this couple at the train station. You could tell they were obviously madly in love because you could see it when they first saw each other. It looked like something terrible had happened and they were both incredibly upset. They then slowly walked up to each other and just fell into each others' arms and held themselves close, cuddling, for ages. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen.

You just don't see that everyday in public.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 10:34 pm

I like generosity, doesn't have to be material. I would love, more than anything, for someone to go out of their way for me. It would make me feel so special. I would marry someone who gave their all to me.

That, and open-mindedness, intellectual curiosity. When I say open-mindedness, I also mean someone who is able to take honesty, and be open to taking a look at themselves every now and then...a lot of people can give it but not take it. I can't always take honesty, there's tact involved of course...but I can take it more than a lot of people can, and I really don't understand it when some people say they like open-mindedness as a trait, when they don't appear to at all. Maybe because I'm used to insults etc. that I've built up more of a skin so I'm better able to look at myself? So my morals aren't necessarily the same as most peoples', and these so-called open-minded people think I must automatically be a bad person. Or these people claiming they like open-mindedness are just outright lying to themselves. Because they don't actually like hearing anything that could challenge them. Why admire open-mindedness in someone else when you're not even able to take on board the new ideas they present to you?!

Yes, this is something that pisses me off a bit. It's like the new "logical". THAT word got overused and now I believe the new term is open-mindedness.