Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 9:18 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I find any disability related slur to be offensive. That one is on the top of the list, because I have a friend who has Down Syndrome. I'm surprised that people still use that particular slur these days.

I know what you mean, there are some disability slurs that are horrible.
another one is deaf and dumb, a lot of deaf people find that offensive and will say they know a few dumb hearing people.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 9:44 pm

NewTime wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
A mongoloid is an archaic way to describe someone with Down syndrome.

mongoloid is also an historical term for east asian people. historically referred to as the mongoloid race.

Mongoloid is also a slur for ret*d. You should slap your mother silly, since she just called you stubborn (deaf), dumb (stupid), and mongoloid (ret*d).

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 10:05 pm

NewTime wrote:
i heard someone insult someone recently by called them a mongoloid ret*d. isn't this offensive to those with down syndrome?

It is also a blatant tautology.
Everybody should take offence at that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 2:32 am

Mongoloid is another awesome song by Devo

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 3:39 am

NewTime wrote:
i heard someone insult someone recently by called them a mongoloid ret*d. isn't this offensive to those with down syndrome?

It IS offensive to people of east Asian descent.

To folks with Down's Syndrome its an archaic inaccurate nonsequitar.

In the early 20th century "Mongoloid" ( also called "Mongolian idiocy"- lovely term) was the accepted term used by scientist for what we now call "Downs Syndrome" because children with Down's syndrome (regardless of what race they were born into) have vaguely east asian looking head features (flatish faces, and folded cornered eyelids).

At the same time the accepted term for the whole "race" of people of east asia (Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese) was also "Mongoloid" ( they all look like Mongols from Mongolia, so lets call them all "Mongoloid").

It wasnt until around 1970 that the scientific community dropped the term for folks with Down Syndrome, and replaced it with the term "Downs Syndrome".At about the same time they also began using different terms for human races, and began calling East Asians -"East Asians".

But you may have nonscientists neighbors or relatives who still use the archaic term "Mongoloid" for Downs Syndrome.