Anyone not really read or watch the news?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

LimboMan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jan 2017, 8:00 am

This is something I've kind of always done, which in turn keeps me quite misinformed about the world and wonder if this is bad.
My family always watch the news every day, comment on what's going on and whether they agree or disagree with something that's going on eg. Politics. And if I'm with people or speaking to them, many times they are talking about what's going on in the news, and what my thoughts of it are, things like that. I just don't know what to say when this happens.
I find things like current affairs and politics very difficult to understand, I haven't even voted for elections and followed the politics in my country. Its not just that though, just the news in general. I feel like I just want to be in my own world and not pay attention to the outside world, which I guess is part having ASD. I do read local news but that's because I want to hear whether there's any crime I need to know about.

Anyone else the same?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 8:51 am

Yes, same for me. I sometimes watch various reports of things going on in people's lives (disasters, accomplishments and such), but it is too disturbing for me to listen to talking heads drone on about things I do not want to even try to understand.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 10:23 am

Yes, partially for the same reason, partially not.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 12:15 pm

I think that what little I do read or watch about the news is bad enough. The constant grimness and sensationalism has given me a bad case of "mean world syndrome". Even just checking the weather forecast online can be upsetting. Climate change this, climate change that, and they even make a mild drizzle sound worse than death.

When I see scary and depressing stuff on the news, my "fight or flight" problems are activated, but I can't fight the problems, and I don't really want to run away from them either. So the stress and anxiety never. Goes. Away. :(

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2017, 1:18 pm

I want to stay informed, but I haven't found a news source I particularly like. I'm in a driving related job now and if it works out, I might get satellite radio for News Talk. I really prefer that over TV Network News.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 9:37 am

I only follow the major happenings in politics, mostly what Trump is getting up to now and the Brexit thing.

I've lost trust in a lot of news outlets after the Democratic primary. It was blatantly clear they were shilling for Hillary and they indirectly helped Trump into office.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

dossa
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 1:26 pm

I'm not much of a news person... never have been. Part of it is apathy/lack of interest... some things I just cannot seem to care about. Other things stress me right on out so I keep away. Yeah, some things do confuse me... mostly though it seems to me like trying to jump into a movie 2/3 of the way through... if you have not been following from the get go it's hard to know what the hell people are talking about. Sure, I could go and research this or that, but then it goes back to the apathy and stress thing so I never bother. Heh. I get lucky though, I have a spouse who is all about news and politics and whatever so he keeps me kinda informed on things that are important or things he thinks would be of interest to me.

Caesar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 5:59 pm

I analyze the newspaper at the train station for interesting articles (which they don't have most of the time) and then I read the comics which are always great!

My social media feed is always full with (shared) posts about American politics, almost everyone is talking about it and I am not even American. I have to unfriend and unfollow a majority of people to stop seeing posts lol

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 8:21 pm

I don't pay much attention to the news. I hear of the large events and that's enough.

There are two reasons why I pay little attention to them:

1. Very little of it interest me at all, making it boring.

2. The things I do care about, I feel very strongly about, and those news never fail to make me furious. Last time that happened was earlier today (technically yesterday now), when there was more push from peasants to kill more of our depleted wolf population. It may have caused some self harm.

News about cutting down on species already too few in number, or animal abuse make me see red.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2017, 11:03 pm

dossa wrote:
I'm not much of a news person... never have been. Part of it is apathy/lack of interest... some things I just cannot seem to care about. Other things stress me right on out so I keep away. Yeah, some things do confuse me... mostly though it seems to me like trying to jump into a movie 2/3 of the way through... if you have not been following from the get go it's hard to know what the hell people are talking about. Sure, I could go and research this or that, but then it goes back to the apathy and stress thing so I never bother.

^
This is basically me, to a T.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2017, 10:39 am

I want to stay informed about what is going on, but I also need a break. My local newspaper is a joke and it's obvious nobody proofreads it anymore.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

02 Feb 2017, 7:44 pm

I generally avoid the news. I find it tends to run my blood pressure up.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 6:38 pm

The news is basically someone saying "good evening" and then immediately listing all the reasons why it *isn't* good. :roll:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

12 Feb 2017, 10:26 pm

Just avoiding it altogether because of how things are now. UGH.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 10:31 pm

I never read or watch the news unless it's something I'm really interested in.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 10:35 pm

I mainly follow the top stories of the day.