Burger King’s new ‘vegetarian’ Impossible Whopper

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 10:37 am

Quote:
Vegetarians might want to look away now as Burger King’s hugely-successful plant-based Impossible Whopper burger has been found to be cooked in the same broiler as beef and chicken.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 44816.html

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 11:32 am

No worries for me! I eat those plant-burgers for their lack of cholesterol, which drips down from meat-burgers, and not across to other burgers on an open grille.

The flavor of the "Impossible" burgers is better (imho) than "Beyond" burgers, which taste far better (imho) than any meat-burger I've ever had.

Come to think of it ... I haven't had a good steak in over a decade. They all have an undertaste of fish or liver, and none of them taste any good at all without a lot of ketchup, garlic, salt, or other seasonings.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Aug 2019, 11:59 am

firemonkey wrote:
Quote:
Vegetarians might want to look away now as Burger King’s hugely-successful plant-based Impossible Whopper burger has been found to be cooked in the same broiler as beef and chicken.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 44816.html

truthfully, vegans may be more bothered than that by vegetarians. I know I tolerated the cooking of veg near meat/on the same pan or griller, until I became a a vegan. But then again, Impossible burgers are not vegan so for me this is moot.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm

They used to do that with their vegetarian spicy bean burger too.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 3:36 pm

Of course it is, you think they're going to eqip all the burger kings with new broilers specially for the Impossible Whopper? :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2019, 3:58 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Of course it is, you think they're going to eqip all the burger kings with new broilers specially for the Impossible Whopper?
If they won't have separate broilers for kosher and halal foods, then they won't have separate broilers for vegan foods, either.

:roll: I mean... 4 separate broilers in each restaurant? C'mon!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Aug 2019, 4:14 pm

I think this depends on why the person is a vegetarian or vegan & how hardcore they are about it. Some are strongly into animal rights & would boycott places like BK on principle & NEVER step foot in one even to use the bathroom if that was the only rest area around. Others may be vegetarian or vegan partly for health reasons. My 2nd girlfriend was almost a vegetarian cuz she found most types of meat would aggravate some of her autism symptoms & other issues she had. She wouldn't of had a problem if her food was cooked in the same broiler as beef, chicken or other meat.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Aug 2019, 5:58 pm

nick007 wrote:
I think this depends on why the person is a vegetarian or vegan & how hardcore they are about it. Some are strongly into animal rights & would boycott places like BK on principle & NEVER step foot in one even to use the bathroom if that was the only rest area around.

That's sort of what I was going to say. If you're a self-proclaimed vegetarian or vegan, the fact that you would still eat fast food automatically shows your convictions aren't very strong, whether you don't eat meat for health reasons, ethical reasons or religious reasons.

It's really only on the menu to trick people into thinking they're eating healthier, but that doesn't change the fact you're still eating at a Burger King.

red_doghubb
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Aug 2019, 7:48 am

PurpleReject wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I think this depends on why the person is a vegetarian or vegan & how hardcore they are about it. Some are strongly into animal rights & would boycott places like BK on principle & NEVER step foot in one even to use the bathroom if that was the only rest area around.

That's sort of what I was going to say. If you're a self-proclaimed vegetarian or vegan, the fact that you would still eat fast food automatically shows your convictions aren't very strong, whether you don't eat meat for health reasons, ethical reasons or religious reasons.

It's really only on the menu to trick people into thinking they're eating healthier, but that doesn't change the fact you're still eating at a Burger King.

A militant vegan would on principal boycott places like that. But just about anyone will put aside morals to pee.

One can still get no dairy/no meat options at fast food places. Subway for sure. If you're saying vegans shouldn't want fast food for the very fact fast food place might sell non vegan options, well then you've ruled out every "fast" food chain not to mention almost every restaurant and diner in America. I have a hard core vegan Indian friend. Even she will eat in places that serve non vegan foods in addition to vegan. She will politely if firmly tell the owner it would be great if the place served more vegan options or even only vegan, but she's realistic. And not even she can turn down a clean bathroom (!) in a restaurant in India. :)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 8:29 am

i rarely eat burgers so when I do I am going for real meat.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2019, 4:04 pm

Mmm, "plant based". That sounds appetizing. You what else is plant based? Cardboard! :mrgreen:

But seriously, some vegans think we should all call meat products bey their "real" and gruesome-sounding names, but heaven forbid if we call call something like tofu "fermented curdled soymilk". :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Aug 2019, 9:00 pm

red_doghubb wrote:
I have a hard core vegan Indian friend. Even she will eat in places that serve non vegan foods in addition to vegan.
There's been a strong push for a while to get McDonald's to offer a plant based burger. I'm not sure why McDonald's refuses to offer one. I don't plan to get it if they do offer one but I support the idea for situations like you mentioned about your vegan friend red_dog. A plant based burger would also be good for people who do like eating meat sometimes but also like eating vegetarian too. They may wanna mix their diet up a bit.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Aug 2019, 11:28 pm

red_doghubb wrote:
A militant vegan would on principal boycott places like that. But just about anyone will put aside morals to pee.

One can still get no dairy/no meat options at fast food places. Subway for sure. If you're saying vegans shouldn't want fast food for the very fact fast food place might sell non vegan options, well then you've ruled out every "fast" food chain not to mention almost every restaurant and diner in America. I have a hard core vegan Indian friend. Even she will eat in places that serve non vegan foods in addition to vegan. She will politely if firmly tell the owner it would be great if the place served more vegan options or even only vegan, but she's realistic. And not even she can turn down a clean bathroom (!) in a restaurant in India. :)

The fast food industry is not only a major source of revenue for the meat industry, they're mega-corporations which promote the mass production and consumption an objectively unhealthy product. For something like McDonald's, not only can you critique the "food", you can critique their unethical business practices, their miserable labor practices and their harmful environmental impact, among many other things.

Put quite simply, if someone cared enough about animals or the environment to practice veganism (for reasons not health- or religion-influenced), it's hypocritical that they would go on to support companies which contribute to the detriment of those causes. They might as well go out and buy some leather shoes after buying a round of "impossible" burgers.