Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Dec 2023, 9:05 pm

Has anyone here tried any cuisines from Africa? Any that you would recommend?

Most African food I've had was from North Africa - I've had Moroccan and Egyptian a few times. The only sub-Saharan country I've had food from was Mozambican (specifically peri-peri chicken, which is eaten in a number of the countries but the recipe my family has is from Mozambique). My dad and my sister tried Ethiopian food once, and I would definitely like to try that someday.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Dec 2023, 10:18 pm

i don't have much experience with african food, where i live it's not readily available but i would LOVE to try it one day

i do, however have experience with south african food as a friend was born there, he introduced me to biltong (SA beef jerkey) which is my favourite snack.
and Koeksisters, a south african pastry covered in a sweet glaze its very sweet but goes perfectly well with some rooibos tea.

RedDeathFlower13
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2023, 10:38 pm

Never had the chance to try authentic African food but that sounds very intriguing to me. One of my best friends is from South Africa, he told me they have a kind of sausage there called Russians which is often served with Monkeysauce (made from neither monkeys nor Russians).

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Dec 2023, 5:21 pm

While I haven't actually tried it, I did read that Ethiopian food isn't eaten with silverware. They scoop up food with large flatbreads called injera. It's a custom they have there. Also no pork because the Ethiopian Orthodox Church doesn't allow it and no fish because there's a taboo against seafood in the Horn of Africa. (It's more apparent in neighboring Somalia, which unlike Ethiopia has a long coast. Somalis generally stick to land-based meats like beef, chicken, and goat - no pork because it's a Muslim country.)

I was also reading about jollof rice yesterday, which comes from West Africa. I'd love to try that too since I love any kind of spicy rice.