if a girl who acts like a boy is called a tomboy why isn't a

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jan 2017, 8:48 pm

if a girl who acts like a boy is called a tomboy why isn't a boy who acts like a girl called a janegirl?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 5:01 pm

They were once commonly called "sissies", meaning "sister", which was a little nicer than what they're usually called today.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 10:15 pm

There is the term "Nancyboy", which is sometimes used to refer to an effeminate man.

I have no idea why the name Nancy was chosen.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 10:20 pm

Around here, boys behaving like girls are usually just called a girl.
Or a skirt.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 10:34 pm

Boys who are feminine are treated like crap and I don't like it. Even today when androgyny is hot and gender nonconformity is widely accepted, people say "oh they're not real blokes because they're feminine". Boys grow up having this rigid idea of how they should be as a result and it makes many of them feel inadequate. Everyone has a masculine and feminine nature, in some the former predominates and in others the latter. So why are we so hung up on gender nonconforming males?

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 2:40 pm

For years I used to wonder why no one had a problem with me occasionally playing with action figures targeted at boys but if a boy played around with dolls made for girls people went nuts. Then I learned that even in this day and age "girl" stuff is still considered inferior and weak while "boy" stuff is not.

When children are playing they are often "practicing" to be adults. If a boy plays with a baby doll, it is helping him to show nurturing and love in case he becomes a father some day. What's so wrong about that?

On the other hand, I once watched an episode of WWYD where a actors play a little girl wants to dress like Spider-Man but her mom is against it, and quite a few people said the girl should wear a more feminine costume because she was so pretty. I once dressed as a Ninja Turtle. Guess no one thought I was pretty. :?