How Can I Stop Being Like A Robot?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

SilentJessica
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2017, 1:42 pm

When my online friends send me things like stories they've written or a picture of something they like, I never know what to say except "That's good :)" or "That's a nice colour :)". To change it a bit, sometimes I'll add "very", but that's still not much different.

They can write something they're proud of and then expect me to send a long message back about how good it is and which parts I liked most or didn't like, but all they get is "That's good :)", which disappoints them and makes them lose their excitement. This happened today. They needed more of an opinion to help them with their writing, and they don't really have anyone else to ask because I'm one of their only friends.

If someone sends me a photo of themselves, I'll usually only say "That's a nice photo :)". That must insult them a bit, because they say "Only nice? :(", and I have to think of something else to say. I don't know if they're only joking when they ask "Only nice? :(" or not, but maybe they mean it. Sometimes I think if I write anything better than "nice", they might think I like them, and even if I did, I wouldn't want them to be able to tell that because that could be embarrassing.

I've noticed this for a long time, and it annoys me, but when I sit there and tap my fingers on my head or whatever I'm using to type on while I try to think of something better to say, it's like I still don't know what else to say, and it always goes back to being 'That's good :)", which is what I send. I don't know how to stop it.

"That's great" has never felt right. I don't know why, but I've always preferred "good" over "great".

I've been told that it's like talking to a robot because of this, and because I always agree with whatever they're telling me, even when they change their opinion on something (I agree then, too). They think I'm too scared to say what I really think in case I hurt their feelings or make them sad. Maybe that's true, but I don't know. They seem worried about me, but I really do usually agree with them (or maybe I don't know much about what they're saying, so it seems like the easiest thing to do).

It's like it's a habit now, and I feel like I'm too repetitive and predictable. This is another thing I've noticed for a while. I feel like this makes me boring, and I can tell that they're getting annoyed by it now.

Does anyone know how I can stop it?

AQ: 40
RAADS-R: 149