Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2017, 1:07 pm

Does anyone like to fish? I did a lot of fishing with my dad and cousins growing up but haven't put a hook in the water for 10 years. There is a river nearby that has some pretty big blue catfish that are biting. Thinking about buying a pole and a fishing license.

mrshappyhands
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2017, 1:27 pm

I love fishing. I prefer saltwater, but I can have just as much fun with freshwater. There's just something calming about it. Even if you don't catch something you still get to spend a day taking in nature.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

10 Feb 2017, 3:26 pm

I prefer saltwater fishing as well. The waters near me are brackish and have both salt and freshwater fish. Not much bites in the winter except for the catfish. Most of the blue cats you catch are 2-5 pounds but they grow as big as 150lbs though these are rare. I'd be happy if I could hook a 20 pounder or so.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2017, 11:34 pm

I went fishing with my dad and cousin today. I enjoyed it.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 2:49 am

Fishing in February? You are much tougher than I!

mrshappyhands

12 Feb 2017, 6:58 am

Private Idaho wrote:
I prefer saltwater fishing as well. The waters near me are brackish and have both salt and freshwater fish. Not much bites in the winter except for the catfish. Most of the blue cats you catch are 2-5 pounds but they grow as big as 150lbs though these are rare. I'd be happy if I could hook a 20 pounder or so.

Oh, wow! Those are huge blues. We don't get blues that big around here, but the flatheads are pretty big around the Neuse and Cape Fear Rivers.

What's your favorite bait to use for catfish?

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2017, 10:49 am

mrshappyhands wrote:
Private Idaho wrote:
What's your favorite bait to use for catfish?

Pieces of fish such as shad or herring. Blood worms work too.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

12 Feb 2017, 10:54 am

mrshappyhands wrote:
Private Idaho wrote:
Oh, wow! Those are huge blues. We don't get blues that big around here, but the flatheads are pretty big around the Neuse and Cape Fear Rivers.

You're not going to catch the big ones from the pier where I fish. They hide in deep holes 80-100 feet deep.
The bigger ones are for fun. No one eats any of the catfish over 10lbs or so because of toxins and heavy metals that accumulate in the larger ones.

BTW, its 70F here today so might go fishing.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 7:18 pm

The only fishing I did was for tadpoles at the local pond and that was when I was about 5.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 11:00 pm

Redxk wrote:
Fishing in February? You are much tougher than I!

It wasn't that cold. Somewhere in the mid 40's I think.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 8:09 am

Ezra lives in a part of the country where it's frequently in the mid-40's in the winter--because of the paramount influence of Pacific Ocean weather systems.

The only source of cold air which comes to western Washington is what is called "Arctic Outflow," which usually comes from Alaska and seeps down British Columbia, into the Northwest. It is somewhat rare for areas west of the Continental Divide to receive the "mainstream" Arctic air which affects prairie and mountain areas east of the Continental Divide.

Missoula, Montana, west of the Continental Divide, might be in the 20's Fahrenheit; whereas a place like Great Falls, east of the Continental Divide, might be in the Minus 20's Fahrenheit.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Feb 2017, 10:01 am

I use to love fishing, unfortunately not something I can really pursue anymore.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 10:15 am

What about in the Gila River, or the Colorado River?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

13 Feb 2017, 10:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What about in the Gila River, or the Colorado River?

Well I think the Gila River has seen better days, you know how in 'The Ballad of Ira Hayes' the lyrics mention how white man took away water? Well they really did as it has pretty much all been diverted. They do have these stocked ponds but I really have no interest in those, otherwise I'd probably have to travel pretty far.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2017, 10:30 am

I think the area around Lake Havasu City is supposed to be good for fishing.

Sometimes, Lake Havasu City gets the hottest temperature in the United States. It might be even hotter than Death Valley at times.

Private Idaho
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2017, 11:28 am

Back in the 90s my cousin and I went on a fishing trip to Montana to catch rainbow trout. For me the catching of fish was the least of the pleasures of going. We went into Glacier National Park and it's utterly beautiful there. A couple of years later we went for a week to northern Canada to fish for northern pike. There are thousands of lakes up there and they flew us to our own lake by seaplane. Best part was laying on my back at night watching the stars and northern lights.