BABYMETAL & DETHKLOK: THE BABYKLOK TOUR

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 3:52 pm

That's what I'm going to tonight. Haven't decided if I'll be soberish or mildly enhanced. Even sober it's likely gonna be an interesting concert. I've only heard a couple BABYMETAL radio singles before but can't even recall what they are tbh. Listening to some of their music now - even with these songs being in Japanese, they still just Soooooound cool - and the only thing I'm on rn is caffeine lol.

Just googled to see where DETHKLOK is from and apparently it's a fictional band from an animated series called Metalpocalypse and the real band was formed to play the fictional band's songs in real life. Interesting. So, they're imaginary, with members from the USA, Norway, and Sweden.

Should be interesting, that's for sure. Going with one of my brothers, not sure who's using the other 2 tickets yet as a couple ppl double booked plans. Cheap tix he got on a livenation sale for $20 a piece so not too worried about who uses them just so long as they don't go to waste is all.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Oct 2023, 2:16 pm

That's an interesting contrast of music but both groups are really good so I'm sure you'll enjoy the cencert.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 4:04 pm

It was a decent show, crowd, and night out over all. 8)

Metal (and it's various subtypes I don't even pretend to know them all) isn't really my go to genre, so it was definitely a step outside my typical normal range of music - especially for a live show.

It was definitely interesting to see this combination of bands in a night that's for sure. I mean, is Dethklok even real ? lol they were formed in real life to perform the songs of a fictitious band in an animated tv series called Metalpocalypse. Not sure if the band has the same name in the cartoon or not ? Maybe - I've seen clips of it online but never watched an episode I don't think. Anyways, I think I liked their music better than babymetal tbh - in part because all of the lyrics are in English AND they play the cartoon in the background which has many of the lyrics flashing up on the screen so even when it's really fast paced and loud you can follow the lyrics and story of the song. Plus the instrumental parts seemed a bit more varied than Babymetal.

Babymetal Was good though. Certainly interesting to see a mashup between cutsie J-pop and metal performed by 3 Japanese women with their backup band. They had a rather neat t-shirt design depicting the "fox headed spirit of metal," and other things in neon colours with a bit of a psychedelic theme to it on a black t-shirt. I kinda liked it, but didn't LOVE it so didn't drop $55 on one.

I DID, however, score a Dethklok Metalpocalypse t-shirt because one of the guys with us found it on the ground behind a railing by the sound booth and it happened to be my size and wouldn't fit him/others. Score! Someone probably paid $50 for it.

Another highlight of the night was who got to use the extra 2 tickets:

My brother bought 4 tickets for $20 each on a Live Nation sale. Tix were $76-319 or something like that. A couple landscapers that worked on my parents' home in May were gonna come, but double booked plans and couldn't make it. So, we offered the tix to friends/acquaintances last minute until someone wanted to come.

Ricky Jay happened to be a few minutes away from the venue and so of course he was down - this guy is Legendary for attending concerts and meeting musicians. He's 51 years old and goes out every night of the week trying to see a live show as often as possible and he's so known for being at concerts and just being his happy-go-lucky self that people give him tickets all the time. Definitely makes the most of his life for a guy who's had 15 surgeries (a few open heart) and exists on disability benefits. Like 10 people outside the show and another 10+ inside the show greeted him. He found the shirt for me, so afterwards I paid for sushi dinner on the way back to the city we both live in.

We had one more ticket to either sell or give away, for $20 my brother didn't care about the money. We were on the corner of Hastings & Renfrew outside the PNE Forum and we called out loud a couple times asking if anyone needed a single ticket and this young guy named Robert asked how much, told us he got ripped off $250 for a fake ticket, only had $20 in his pocket and had been dying to see Dethklok since 2011. Ok, you're in - we have a free ticket for ya just don't want it to go to waste.. this guy as the most appreciative person I've ever seen score a free ticket to anything.. he literally dropped to his knees on the spot and damned near started crying he was so happy to be able to attend. Pretty cool. We all hung out a bit and then he made his way to the front of the crowd to be right in the centre of mosh pit action.

All in all a good night out, but even with a free ticket and a free t-shirt between gas, parking, dinner and a couple pre-drinks it was still about a hundred dollar night out. C'est la vie. I should probably get back to paid work soon so too many of those types of days don't start to sting when they all add up. Not a terrible value overall, though. Someone else might have dropped $400 or so for the same experience if they paid for the priciest tickets - which there aren't any seats/spots in the venue that are worth more than whatever the cheapest GA tickets are IMO, unless you're physically disabled and cannot stand then maybe there's value to a seat.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 12:14 am

Yeah, the band in the Cartoon metalyocalypse is Dethklok, Brendon small is the creator as well as one of the main musicians who plays the music for the show. The live band has a couple more people and they play songs featured in the show mostly, but they may have some songs outside the show(not sure).

As for the Metalocalypse cartoon, it's an interesting satire about metal music and culture I suppose, quite dark humor so not everyone's cup of tea but I really like the show. They just recently released a conclusion movie to the metalocalypse show that was like in waiting for 11 years at least...there was a whole thing with cartoon network that prevented Brendon small from releasing the final movie sooner.

Also Dethklok has more of a melodic death metal style, which is for sure very different from Babymetal, which I suppose is more sort of fun pop metal not really sure exactly what genre that is called though. To be fair I have not listened to them at all really but them combined with dethklock does seem like it would make for an interesting concertv I am glad you went a bit out of your comfort zone to go to this show...sounds like it was probably pretty cool even if not the music you are used to.

I used to go to concerts before covid, but since covid I haven't been to one I kind of want to but last few times me and my boyfriend saw bands we liked coming through we were both hesitent of making plans to attend a show or try and get a day off work for it. Like I think we are both nervous about attending a concert now cause we think of going to one then both come up with all the excuses why not this time but maybe next time, but I am sure we can get past that and see one at some point. But idk bands still record music so you don't have to go to a concert to hear it, but a live concert is different than just listening to the album.

Also don't feel bad for dropping money on something you enjoyed, like so you spent 100+ bucks on a fun night out, nothing wrong with that so long as you keep in your budget and don't do so many 100+ nights out it gets in the way of other things.

For me and my boyfriend it would probably be like 200 as most the shows aren't in our town but in Denver the closest large city, but we live far enough away we'd have to get a motel/hotel for the night so we'd have to factor that cost in cause no way are we driving home at midnight or later, after getting drunk at a concert, so we would have to stay down there to attend a concert because no way will we be at a concert and not drink.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 3:46 am

Ya it was a good night. Not break the bank expensive buuut I haven’t been working and have been spending a lot sooo ya.

I would probably never pay for a hotel to see a concert. Too expensive!! I don’t get drunk and am legal to drive home.

Last year I got a free ticket to Iron Maiden in Seattle so I drove there, had drinks, dinner, saw the show, bought the t-shirt and drove back that night.

My older brother bought tickets to a 2 day Metallica concert in Seattle that’s spread over 3 nights so minimum 2 days hotel stay. Just the parking is $350 I think USD, but he might try to park elsewhere. That’s gonna be a hella expensive wknd. I’ve never seen Metallica but couldn’t justify spending $1k+ per person to see them.

IF I drove a bit too far to see a concert to be able to drive home that night I’d sleep in my car before I paid for a hotel F that lol