Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 6:06 am

Marybird wrote:
If time travel were possible and you traveled back to a time within your own lifetime, would the current you be there to witness the past you, or would you be the past you reliving that time again?

And if you did go back in time to confront your earlier self (lets say you're 40 now and you meet your high school self in the era when you were in highschool) your current middle aged self could whip out a pistol and gun down your high school self.

That would cause you high school self to die. That would inturn prevent you current self from even existing today. So your current 40 yr old self would instantly vanish. That in turn would prevent your current middle aged self from making the trip back in time to murder your teenage self. Which would spare the life of your teenage self.

Since that would prevent the death of your teen self your current WOULD then exist in the present, and would then be able to make the trip back in time to kill your former self, and...so on... :lol:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 8:00 am

The "back channel" particles or whatever that evade time to inform my dreams sure don't need any high-tech machinery for detection. An extra-calm mind is the usual recommended receiver. The mechanism does seem to have some safeguards against "shooting your grandfather" problems, though. When I was 18, a friend set us up with a double date, and we met in a parking lot. As soon as we were standing around my car, I recognized the scene from a dream two weeks earlier. Then, I started debating with myself, wondering if I should say the same things I'd said in the dream. While I was trying to decide, I was also watching myself repeat the scene as accurately as a movie. If there was any change produced, it may have prevented me from getting into trouble with my date, already having had one amazing experience that night.

Last edited by Dear_one on 11 Apr 2017, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 8:11 am

I believe that time machines exist. In fact, they're everywhere -in houses, classrooms, at work, in cars, and just about every building has at least one. They're called CLOCKS! :lol:

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 8:29 am

time travel is possible. We do it all the time. The question is, is it possible to go backwards in time or forwards in time faster than usual?

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 1:17 pm

If time travel is possible, it could also be possible for someone from the far future to travel back to our time and give us the technology to time travel also.
Then earth people of our time could time travel without having to work out the details.
But then the future people would not have the technology because the past people did not invent it.
And so we have not been visited by this future time travel technology because it does not exist.
Or they are keeping themselves hidden from us to ensure that we do all the work of inventing the technology while they have the fun of using it.

If earthlings do invent a time travel machine and travel to the future, the machine would already be an old fashioned relic by the time it gets there.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 1:49 pm

Marybird wrote:
If time travel is possible, it could also be possible for someone from the far future to travel back to our time and give us the technology to time travel also.
Then earth people of our time could time travel without having to work out the details.
But then the future people would not have the technology because the past people did not invent it.
And so we have not been visited by this future time travel technology because it does not exist.
Or they are keeping themselves hidden from us to ensure that we do all the work of inventing the technology while they have the fun of using it.

If earthlings do invent a time travel machine and travel to the future, the machine would already be an old fashioned relic by the time it gets there.

Maybe UFOs dont really come from other planets.

Maybe they are actually time machines sent from the future of our own planet!

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 3:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Maybe UFOs dont really come from other planets.

Maybe they are actually time machines sent from the future of our own planet!

Maybe they are anthropologists from the future who come here to study us.
Maybe they can go much further into the past and study the beginning of life on earth, dinosaurs, and early hominids.
They might at least share some of this information with us.
They could drop videos from their UFO's.

That would be a really interesting series to watch on Netflix.

Last edited by Marybird on 11 Apr 2017, 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 3:05 pm

If UFO's wanted to contact us, they'd use the radio, not crop circles and/or remote appearances. If you want to understand UFOs, just look at how we quarantine "Uncontacted Tribes" on earth.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 3:56 pm

Dear_one wrote:
If UFO's wanted to contact us, they'd use the radio, not crop circles and/or remote appearances. If you want to understand UFOs, just look at how we quarantine "Uncontacted Tribes" on earth.

But if UFO's are actually time machines bearing humans from the future, they may think differently.
Of course this is all fun speculation and entirely made up.

When it comes to time traveling, there are so many paradoxes that time might fold in on itself if it was ever attempted or even possible.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 5:35 pm

I discussed this with my mother, and while she likes to believe anything is possible a lot of things things we do now people once could never be done, like traveling to the moon, she doesn't time travel would be a good idea. If some say, went back in time and assassinate Hitler, and WW2 never happened, there might be someone else even worse who would take over.

She might be right. I'm worried that even the slightest, most seemingly trivial thing might disrupt the flow of time and wreck the present or future. Like swatting a mosquito while in the age of the dinosaurs, and then coming back to the present to discover the whole world has been turned into a dystopian society by your annoyingly cheerful neighbor, as I once saw hilariously done on The Simpsons. :)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2017, 7:49 pm

Dear_one wrote:

My theory is along similar lines.

Our solar system maybe a protected game preserve in a vast interstellar empire of some alien extraterrestrial race.

The UFOs transport the park rangers down here to manage the place. And the human abductees(those folks who get taken up into flying saucers, and get prodded and examined) who get those implants, are like the wildlife that our park rangers put tags on. The aliens need to keep track of our migrations, and mating patterns, and like that, so they give their human specimens "tags"! :lol:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2017, 9:29 am

I had a dream about my future, and it wasn't good. My fear is that it may be coming true.