Yay! Got out and flew kites today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 7:52 pm

Yay! Got out and flew kites today! It's kind of my thing to get photos of each which got flown. Can be a bit of an adventure doing camera one-handed with kite string in other hand! As you might imagine I don't get photos of the 2 string stunt kites while flying them. Odd as it might sound, I feel really grounded when flying. Out in the grass and wind under the sky I connect or reconnect with life. The hazy diagonal line in some photos is apparently a hair, mine or the cat's which got down in the retractable lens mechanism. Canon won't tell me how to take the camera apart to fix it myself but I could send it to them for a month.
Umm, no.
That joker is 7 feet, 2m, long and the legal pad paper pattern messes with my eyes to where it often looks to be upside down - which can't happen.

Little $3.50 plastic delta kite from Walmart flies quite nicely at the listed wind speeds. I don't know offhand what they are and I'm not going out to the car to look. A lot of people try to fly these and the little plastic diamond kites in too much wind. Stick to the wind speeds listed on package and both types will fly quite well.

That's a fun one. Tails are aftermarket, nice ripstop nylon like the kite fabric.

That baby has about a 7ft, 2m, wingspan. Style is called Delta Conyne. That style and full delta kites do not require tails. Got it from a place in Boulder, Colorado. In a good wind it can nearly pull you off your feet. COOL!
String used is 150lb, 68kg, test. I think kite only requires 80pound, 36kg, but I figure a little overengineering never hurts. Speaking of overengineering, that wooden crank winder is not overengineered - there are days where without the leverage provided the kite is NOT going to come down. 8O

This monster has a 9 foot, 2.7m, span and is actually rated for less wind than the 7 footer because of having lighter construction including lighter fabric, which again is ripstop nylon.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 9:52 pm

Fun times.

Ignotum
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Apr 2017, 10:54 pm

Why I can see you're quite the kite connoisseur! Suppose I should have gathered that from your username and profile pic already. Anyways, I think I learned more about the things today than in my entire life! And I can definitely see how going out on a clear day and flying a few kites can be quite a calming thing to do as a hobby.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2017, 11:20 pm

And kites are great because anyone can fly them, it's not like they are NASA rocket science.
Oh ...
Wait ...

https://www.grc.nasa.gov/www/k-12/airpl ... eaero.html