poor facial recognition /prosopagnosia

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

roger199
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 May 2017, 5:40 am

Many of you have a problem with this mine is mild but gets exacerbated by anxiety .It's worse with women as they change their looks a lot more ,can be the cause of quite a bit of social grief people think your snubbing them .

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 9:07 am

I don't know if I actually have this, but I can be momentarily confused if I see somebody and can't place them. I think my hesitation is more due to me wanting to get their name right rather than to face blindness.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 9:14 am

Mine seems to fluctuate with certain kinds of stress. If I learn a face in a lot of settings, I can generalize, but if I only see a face in one setting, I may get confused by another setting.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 3:27 pm

For me, a hat is as good as a ski mask!

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2017, 4:25 pm

Still can't remember the faces of my neighbors that I've been seeing nearly everyday for almost 3 years now. Each time my boyfriend greets somebody around the neighborhood, I need to ask him who they are.
I feel like people's faces change according to their feelings because the same person can look so different to me each time I see them.

roger199

13 May 2017, 5:39 am

Wondering if it stems from the eye contact issue not developing that part of our brain .Earlier intervention may save autistics a lot of grief potentially .My brother came to my door the other day after not seeing him for a few years I stared at him for a while said what .Didn't place him till he spoke .

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 11:24 am

roger199 wrote:
Wondering if it stems from the eye contact issue not developing that part of our brain .Earlier intervention may save autistics a lot of grief potentially .My brother came to my door the other day after not seeing him for a few years I stared at him for a while said what .Didn't place him till he spoke .

It's possible my prosopagnosia could have diminished by my making an effort. Early on, I learned to make eye contact. No one had told me it would be especially difficult for me, so I guess I just figured it was hard for everyone and struggled through learning how to do it.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 2:32 pm

I have it too and it is worse with males because they all have the same hairstyle and the same clothes. I even failed to recognize my father recently because he tried on a new jacket at shop.
Women are easier because they have way more hair colors, hairstyles and even clothing styles. I won't recognize them if they change they hair drastically but changing hair doesn't happen as often as changing clothes.

A part of it might be related to the fact I don't really pay attention/look to the faces - I caught myself a few times on talking to a woman with hair and clothes color similar to my moms because I went to the place with her and knew she is nearby so I just looked for her with the corner of my eye, while still focusing on the stuff on shelves.
I also failed to realize my dad apparently had "werewolf teeth" for 2 weeks (when he was undergoing intense teeth fixing) according to mom while she was barely able to look at him because he looked so ugly.

But even if I actually focus on faces I still have trouble recognizing them. I had to draw caricatures of my college teachers and look at them before every lecture or else I had trouble recognizing the professor between the students.

And I see a lot of clones walking the street. I often think "I seen them somewhere" just find out I don't actually know them but they happen to look similar to my aunt or cousin. It's embarrassing. I often say "Hi" to total strangers because I am sure I know them.
But when I actually met someone who I know I often won't know they are there unless they speak - I find it easier to recognize people by voice than by how they look. Unfortunately it doesn't work through the phone for some reason.

GoonSquad wrote:
For me, a hat is as good as a ski mask!

At least not many people wear hats and if they do it easily becomes their recognizing sign because it's a part of their unique clothing style.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 May 2017, 2:11 am

I have this problem but I also have a low vision disorder on top of it. My brain has problems processing things I can see OK sometimes like I could look rite at something I can see well & not realize it's there. I think in words instead of images.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition