Should people be sent to jail for peeing in the pool?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 12:36 pm

Should people be sent to jail for peeing in the pool?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 2:26 pm

IDK how it would be enforced. And apparently peeing in the pool is very common, if you swim in a public pool its safe to assume there is pee in it, that is actually what that 'swimming pool' smell is at least according to something I was reading or watching.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 2:32 pm

I don't think peeing in pools should result in inprisonment. However I've never peed in a pool before, even when I was little. I have more respect than that.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 2:42 pm

Being sent to jail for it seems excessive to me, and like Sweetleaf said, I don't know how it would be enforced - I don't know how you could tell a particular person had done it unless someone else was close enough to feel the warmth. It's gross to think about and unnecessary when public pools typically will have bathrooms within a few feet of the pool, but then again, if you swim in natural bodies of water, well, where do you think the aquatic animals do their business? At least pools have chlorine to kill much of the germs.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2018, 2:42 pm

Imprisoned? No. I do think it's wildly disgusting and assume anyone other than a small child refrains for doing it. I know that I'm probably very wrong on that though.

I think I'm a germophobe. One of the reasons I don't really enjoy swimming in public pools, water parks, etc is the idea that there is probably a lot more in the water than I would even assume. Many people don't keep clean, don't shower before going into a pool, etc. I can't help but not only think of urine in pools but also to think of particulates of feces and then I start to get a bit of anxiety about it.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 1:06 pm

I was a lifeguard in high school, the experience was enough to dissuade me from ever using a public pool. Peeing is nothing, wait until you see floaters and diapers popping up from the deep end at the end of the day. That's where it gets disturbing. The chlorine will wipe away virtually all the bacteria, but it can't wash the image out of my mind.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 3:08 pm

If people apparently pee in pools, how come you can't go in a pool if you're on your period unless you have a tampon?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 3:29 pm

No, only for defecating.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 3:40 pm

My dad used to give each of us kids a handful of sorted M&Ms, in a different color for each kid. They he'd tell us that if the water changed color he would know exactly who did it and that the kid would not only get a 'whupping', but he or she would be banned from the pool for the rest of the summer.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 4:17 pm

Fnord wrote:
My dad used to give each of us kids a handful of sorted M&Ms, in a different color for each kid. They he'd tell us that if the water changed color he would know exactly who did it and that the kid would not only get a 'whupping', but he or she would be banned from the pool for the rest of the summer.

Hilarious. I bet you have many funny dad stories.

Taradine
Raven
Raven

21 Dec 2018, 5:20 pm

YES

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 5:48 pm

Magna wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Hilarious. I bet you have many funny dad stories.
When he was sober and not in his depressive or manic phases, he could be fun. But those instances became fewer and farther between as time went on.

Anyway ... Pool smell is due, not to chlorine, but to chloramines, chemical compounds that build up in pool water when it is improperly treated. Chloramines result from the combination of two ingredients: (a) chlorine disinfectants and (b) perspiration, oils and urine that enter pools on the bodies of swimmers.

Link to Article.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 6:07 pm

Maybe banned from swimming pools would be fair enough.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 6:09 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
No, only for defecating.

OMG, I wonder if I should report this post, just kidding.

TUF
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 9:26 pm

No cos it's probably just little kids or severely disabled people or really old people.

Everyone should get into age appropriate trouble if they pee into the pool from the side though...

Not sure if anyone would actually do that unless they were drunk.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 9:30 pm

No, but peeing in the library book drop receptacle is another story altogether!