Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 2:50 am

why do you think you can't survive without your internet addiction?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 12:41 am

my life would be shrunk down to pre-internet times. my world would instantly become much smaller and less well-informed.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 9:38 pm

why do you think you can't survive without your internet addiction?

giving up access to internet would make me even more uptight than usual. and then might gorge more often.

likewise, when I have nothing to do. and do not feel like reading a book.

and communication too. it's so awkward to phone call someone.

on the positive side, brain fog.

and, there is no great reason why I just have to surf the internet as much as I do. just boredom and curiosity and entertainment.

it ain't for school and it sure ain't for work either.

but of course i'm sure I could cope better than some precious lil "people".

LogicOrNot
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2017, 10:02 pm

I tried to survive for a few years without my internet addiction by limiting how much I used the internet each day.

I was okay, but I kept looking for something to soothe me when I was stressed, especially after a long of work. Nothing really helped quite like reading articles, posting on forums, watching streaming TV shows and movies, and listening to music on the internet. In the end, I decided that the internet was just the most convenient and effective way to find comfort and entertainment.

Now I have gone back to enjoying the internet and all that it provides, and I think my stress level is much lower. Of course, other parts of my life are better. So is my more relaxed internet use cause or effect? I don't know.

I used to think that before the internet, people must have been just as happy. Maybe it is easier to find non-internet related activities when everyone else isn't using the internet (addictively). Or maybe just knowing it is there makes it harder to not take advantage of it.

I guess technology is a kind of "Pandora's box" situation, where once a new technology becomes available you can't roll back your lifestyle to the way it was before that technology, or at least not easily.

SpaceDorito
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2017, 10:11 pm

I couldn't really survive without the internet because I've grown up with it. It's really hard for me to un-learn what I've taken for granted my entire life. It's just become a part of me over time. I doubt I can stop using it, however I have stopped using social media as much and I try to avoid reading stuff that makes me feel upset about the state of the world. Two minutes on reddits world news and I'm a wreck. I guess I'm too sensitive for that sort of stuff. It's a double edged sword, all of it. Good cause I can indulge in escapism, but it's also something that hits me in the face with how screwed up things are.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2017, 10:48 pm

I've tried spending less time on the Internet recently. I can't seem to break a 20 year old habit. I've been on the Internet every day for 20 years. I also find it hard to believe.

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 3:37 am

LogicOrNot wrote:
I tried to survive for a few years without my internet addiction by limiting how much I used the internet each day.

I was okay, but I kept looking for something to soothe me when I was stressed, especially after a long of work. Nothing really helped quite like reading articles, posting on forums, watching streaming TV shows and movies, and listening to music on the internet. In the end, I decided that the internet was just the most convenient and effective way to find comfort and entertainment.

Now I have gone back to enjoying the internet and all that it provides, and I think my stress level is much lower. Of course, other parts of my life are better. So is my more relaxed internet use cause or effect? I don't know.

I used to think that before the internet, people must have been just as happy. Maybe it is easier to find non-internet related activities when everyone else isn't using the internet (addictively). Or maybe just knowing it is there makes it harder to not take advantage of it.

I guess technology is a kind of "Pandora's box" situation, where once a new technology becomes available you can't roll back your lifestyle to the way it was before that technology, or at least not easily.

awesome! if you wrote a book, i would read it.

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2017, 6:19 am

I grew up with the internet, but I didn't really know how to use it until later. Before, I'd always be reading books to satisfy my want to learn about things like space and the human body. For me, the internet was initially where I could get unlimited information on anything I had a question about.

I guess I can go without internet if there is access to information.