Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:38 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I didn't qualify due to the height and weight restrictions! I'm apparently under the blood volume level at which it is safe for me to give blood.

numerous times i have donated while under the weight quota.

no symptoms. ever.

unless you count being perpetually exhausted.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:54 pm

I am an organ donor. I have wanted to donate blood, but am scared of needles and serously underweight.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 9:59 pm

BettaPonic wrote:
I am an organ donor. I have wanted to donate blood, but am scared of needles and serously underweight.

my drivers license says organ donor too.

where i live you just have to be 110# to donate blood. unless you are under 18. if you are under 18 then it goes by sex/height.

donated blood over 25 times. got rejected for anemia numerous times. got rejected for low blood pressure 1x.

only one time have they weighed me. and it was in the afternoon, with all clothes on, etc.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2017, 11:46 pm

My weight is very close to the minimum, usually a little bit under. I tried to donate twice. The first time, they didn't get the needle in properly, and I got a huge bruise and swelling on my arm (and they didn't even get any blood to use). The second, everything went smoothly enough during the procedure, but afterward, I nearly passed out several times, up to a few hours afterward. I'm guessing it's because of my weight, so I'm not trying again until I manage to gain some weight. If I'm comfortably over the weight minimum, though, I will have no problem with doing it again.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 7:31 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
My weight is very close to the minimum, usually a little bit under. I tried to donate twice. The first time, they didn't get the needle in properly, and I got a huge bruise and swelling on my arm (and they didn't even get any blood to use). The second, everything went smoothly enough during the procedure, but afterward, I nearly passed out several times, up to a few hours afterward. I'm guessing it's because of my weight, so I'm not trying again until I manage to gain some weight. If I'm comfortably over the weight minimum, though, I will have no problem with doing it again.

the phlebotomists tell donors to wait in the canteen area for 15 minutes after donation.

at least one time, another donor fainted. he looked pretty light (weight).

another time one woman was lying down and the volunteers were holding her up and et cetera.

yeah. have not donated blood since february this year. not planning to donate more any time soon. feel chronically extremely exhausted.

having said that, numerous times, donated blood while weighing under the quota, 110 pounds. but usually about 105 pouonds or so.

so, just significant digits

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 7:33 am

Quote:
I have small rolling veins that make getting my blood drawn difficult. They also sometimes have a hard time getting all the blood they want for test. I sometimes have to get pricked in a couple spots for blood-tests.

I used to have similar problems because, due to introception sensory processing problems, I didn't understand what "thirsty" was and thus, was always dehydrated because I didn't get the "signal" to drink anything, or understand what those sensations meant. Dehydration can make getting at the veins and getting enough blood difficult.
Since I worked that out it's fine. :)
I'm keen to donate again, but I am hopefully getting more tattoos (maybe even starting tomorrow!) soon and will have to wait 4 months after that.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2017, 11:38 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
dragonsanddemons wrote:

the phlebotomists tell donors to wait in the canteen area for 15 minutes after donation.

at least one time, another donor fainted. he looked pretty light (weight).

another time one woman was lying down and the volunteers were holding her up and et cetera.

yeah. have not donated blood since february this year. not planning to donate more any time soon. feel chronically extremely exhausted.

having said that, numerous times, donated blood while weighing under the quota, 110 pounds. but usually about 105 pouonds or so.

so, just significant digits

I didn't have any trouble until after I'd left, maybe half an hour or so later. My weight was right around 110 pounds, possibly slightly less. I'd probably like to be at 115 pounds before donating again to try to avoid issues, but I've never quite made it to that weight. Over the past year or two, my weight has usually been 100 to 105 pounds. It's been three years or so since the one time I did donate.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 10:10 pm

Dragons and demons

:D

The most recent time I donated blood

February 2017

Many times got deferred as anemic

Many times barely above the hemoglobin quota

But when donate blood have to eat more iron

Green vegetables, cow milk, tofu,Grape Nuts, red meat

Contain plenty of iron

But I don't really like them

Grape Nuts are ok

Like tofu

Not too fond of green veg or red meat

Even white meat. Once in a while one serving of beef, pork, chicken, ham, turkey

But not every day

It used to get on my nerves how precious lil "people" had the nerve to ask if I was a vegetarian.

:cry:

When they saw the sandwich I ate had no meat

Big deal

So what?

:ninja:

:mrgreen:

It costs too much $$ to be vegetarian. Expensive meat substitute and vitamin and mineral

And social ridicule

And inconvenience

But seriously, the meat eating has to be near minimum

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2017, 11:00 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Dragons and demons

The most recent time I donated blood

February 2017

Many times got deferred as anemic

Many times barely above the hemoglobin quota

But when donate blood have to eat more iron

Green vegetables, cow milk, tofu,Grape Nuts, red meat

Contain plenty of iron

But I don't really like them

Grape Nuts are ok

Like tofu

Not too fond of green veg or red meat

Even white meat. Once in a while one serving of beef, pork, chicken, ham, turkey

But not every day

It used to get on my nerves how precious lil "people" had the nerve to ask if I was a vegetarian.

When they saw the sandwich I ate had no meat

Big deal

So what?

:ninja:

It costs too much $$ to be vegetarian. Expensive meat substitute and vitamin and mineral

And social ridicule

And inconvenience

But seriously, the meat eating has to be near minimum

I actually am vegetarian, but I also totally understand simply not liking meat and preferring to eat other things. I was never fond of poultry or seafood when I did eat meat. I don't like meat substitutes, and get most of my protein from tofu, cheese, and eggs. I've been vegetarian for a few years without taking any vitamin/mineral supplements, and seem not to be any worse off than when I was still eating meat. Granted, I may find that when I'm in a position to be paying for my own groceries (currently unemployed and living with my parents), it's too expensive, but I'll do everything I can to avoid supporting the horrific treatment of animals in factory farms - I figured it would be easier to just not eat meat than to have to do research on every meat item I got to make sure the animals were treated humanely. Now that I'm not in college, the only people I eat in front of are family members, who don't give me a hard time about it, and I'm perfectly fine with asking for things without meat in restaurants (like a chicken something salad with no chicken), so it's not horribly inconvenient for me - there are only two or three places I ever went to when I was eating meat that I can't find something that works for me now. But when I'm living on my own, paying for my own food, and possibly living in a different area that might not have so many restaurants with vegetarian-friendly options, it's possible I'll have to start eating meat again. And I don't try to force my views on other people - if they ask why I'm vegetarian, I'll tell them, but if they leave me alone, I leave them alone.

Also, a lot of cereals are fortified with vitamins and minerals. You might want to check the nutrition information on different kinds if you'd prefer something else over Grape Nuts. But I totally understand, too, if Grape Nuts are just the only cereal you find tolerable - I can count the kinds of cereal I'll eat on one hand.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 3:18 am

Quote:

And social ridicule

And inconvenience

I'm vegetarian, and it doesn't cost much different in my opinion. If you buy meat at the moment, say for example chicken breast enough for a meal, it's at least $6. Tofu is less expensive. Same for lean meats like pork or steak. That's expensive. Sure you can get sausages filled with rusk and trotters and a***holes, but you shouldn't be eating those things anyway, for general health. Protein and iron rich vege food is better all around in my completely biased opinion.
However some people don't get enough iron even if they're being diligent - for that, I take a multivitamin and sometimes especially if I've been feeling tired, a liquid herbal iron supplement. A multivitamin isn't expensive, and many meat eaters still take one to fill in gaps in their diets.
As to the last point - would you really want to have anything to do with the sort of people who would ridicule someone for being vegetarian? I know I wouldn't.
In other blood / organ donation news, I was listening to a radio program that was on while I was waiting somewhere about donating your body to science, and this really appeals to me. As a mostly-and-soon-to-be-more post op transsexual, my physical anomalies could help future medical practitioners be educated about transgender health and that would at least be something useful for all the crap this body puts me through.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2017, 9:23 am

C2v

Ideally I would not want to have anything to do with someone that ridicules someone for being vegetarian. However that doesn't sound practical. Nobody is perfect.

Ideally, I would not want to interact with anyone that was homophobic. Or interact with anyone judgemental. Or interact with anyone that says "what" instead of "excuse me". Or interact with anyone that acts like every time I do something they do not like, I invented the world's most heinous felony. Or interact with someone that calls himself or herself "we", "people", or "most people". Or uses "guy" as the linguistic equipment of "girl". Or makes comments about my appearance. Or asks personal questions. Or cancels social plans with me just because her dad's birthday was next week and she had a lot of homework.

But seriously that is not functional :D

:x

Almost everyone that I have ever interacted with :cry: including myself :oops: :D sometimes falls into one or more category

And I feel like I have to passive aggressively tolerate their behavior because "most people" do it all the time.

If I ask them not to do something, they will either :D do it less often,. To satisfy me :| ignore/forget. it/me. Or :skull: purposely do it more often just to get on my nerves

8O

So usually I just avoid everyone unless there is some functional purpose

Besides I can't :jester: prove :cry: :D that I never did or said anything wrong. Plenty of times I did and said wrong things :lol:

It's like a question of what to tolerate under what circumstances a when to hold boundaries.

:heart:

On my driver's license I signed up to be an organ donor

:jester:

8) and I understood and agree that animals get treated inhumanely. And it is more moral, all things equal, to be vegan than take the Atkins diet.

But not all things are equal

And how much more moral, for how much inconvenience and money :cry:

The other thing is that some things contain meat, but you have to anal retentive read the ingredient list. And the ingredient list might not be correct. FDA verified

Then when you go eat at someone's house or at an event where there is no vegetarian alternative :P , you have to bring your own meal :(

When I was 12 to 19 I was a vegetarian. My precious lil "parents" rejected me for that. And numerous other things.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2017, 5:05 am

Quote:
Ideally I would not want to have anything to do with someone that ridicules someone for being vegetarian. However that doesn't sound practical. Nobody is perfect.

Ideally, I would not want to interact with anyone that was homophobic. Or interact with anyone judgemental.

And -
Quote:
And how much more moral, for how much inconvenience and money :cry:

The other thing is that some things contain meat, but you have to anal retentive read the ingredient list. And the ingredient list might not be correct. FDA verified

Then when you go eat at someone's house or at an event where there is no vegetarian alternative :P , you have to bring your own meal

To the first bit - as far as I can understand, it's also not functional (possible? Advisable?) to try and live your life based on what other people might have a problem with. Does the fact that people are homophobic and transphobic mean you better not live your life as gay, or trans? You have to do what you believe to be correct, not try to bend yourself out of shape trying to avoid people disagreeing with you or having a problem with your choices, in my opinion.
As to the second bit - again I suppose it depends on your priorities. To me, the moral benefit of being vegetarian outweighs having to read a few labels, or let others know you are vegetarian ahead of time if you're a guest, or selecting a restaurant based on whether or not they have vegetarian alternatives. I believe it to be worth it, in comparison. But again that's my opinion.