Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 11:05 am

NYC college student has impromptu subway graduation ceremony after train gets stuck underground

Quote:
A New York college student who got stuck on a subway train before his graduation on Tuesday received his "diploma" underground.

Jerich Marco Alcantara, a nursing student at Hunter College in New York, said he was given an impromptu graduation ceremony by fellow riders who stuck with him on the train.

"Everyone seemed annoyed, and by that time, my commencement was already about an hour in," Alcantara said. "So, I felt like lightening the mood and thanked everyone for 'coming to my graduation.'"

The passengers also presented him with a makeshift diploma via cell phone as someone played ceremonial music played in the background.

Alcantara said he ended up being stuck on the train for nearly two hours after a malfunction triggered the subway's emergency brakes.

Authorities eventually sent a rescue train, but he said that ended up "being delayed as well because of signal problems at the next station," Alcantara told ABC News in a statement Wednesday.

Fellow subway rider Nadiya Afzal captured the entire "ceremony" on her mobile phone.

"I've witnessed a lot of things on the trains, but this was a very special moment," Afzal told ABC affiliate WABC on Wednesday. "It was just a nice moment, to see we all came together for him. He deserved it."

Though Alcantara ultimately missed all of his official graduation ceremony, he said his subway experience "meant a lot to me" and his fellow riders "applauded

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 6:27 pm

Pay no heed to stupid stereotypes.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

02 Jun 2017, 4:11 am

I saw something like that in an ep of Full House. I didn't know something like that would happen in real life.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 11:10 am

Ever since 9/11, many New Yorkers have realized life is too short as it is to be a total jerk.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 11:45 am

To quote John Adams in 1776, "What in Hell goes on in New York?!?"

I like the quote, and it works for all occasions! :lol:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2017, 4:05 pm

I'd like to think that New Yorkers have become nicer over the past 16 years.