Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 12:51 am

Facebook is obviously the most popular successful Social network site so far and to be honest as accessibility and as interface it's way better than MySpace and hi5 .

How do I know that? Simple ,because I tried it .

First time I knew Facebook through my co-worker , he explained me the game's rules of the facebook and he showed me how many friends has has on his profile and how their profiles are connected to each other and how do they interact each others , the idea appears cool really .

And after I saw my co-workers and friends using it for hours and hours and after many friends insisted on me to create a facebook account , so I said let me give it a shot despite I always used to hate social network sites.
And so i created an anonymous account with a very silly nickname using my secondary hotmail account just to discover facebook better before I decide to create a real account .

After I logged for very few times ( doesn't exceed the 10 times ) surfing the facebook and discovering all its features ... i got discussed and stopped using it , here are the reasons why I hate Facebook :

1- Showing-off:
Facebook is perfect for snobby people who love to show-off , like many people i know who love to post their show "cool" moves/poses and muscles pics ...I am sure that you know what I mean and if you didn't get what I mean then maybe I am truly a psychologically sick but I simply CAN'T stand these people , call me complicated person with serious complex but I just CAN'T stand such people, they me make more sick.

2-Old friends?
Facebook's fans always say that Facebook is cool because you can regain touch with old friends . Old friends are old friends for a reason :they are not real friends! The fact that you lost touch with these people and became old "friends" that means they either don't really care about you or vice-versa or both ways.
That's why I personally have no interest at all to regain touch with old "friends".

3- Friends requests
Despite my username' account is really silly and only the very few know who's the real person behind this account I got more than a dozen of complete strangers requesting me to add them as friend from all the world and from lebanon specifically , who the f**** are these people??

4- Silly Groups
And here the silliest part in facebook :Groups! People love to breed groups on facebook like rabbits with silliest names and ideas that you can't even imagine .

5- Silly Discussions
Discussions on facebook are poorly moderated and they are silly as the groups' titles .

6- Privacy issue
With new facebook "events monitor" script there 's no privacy of your actions you do on facebook ,like for example if I want to join a group with some a specific thing that i share with them such an interest/habit/disease/syndrome that i am not willing to tell everyone about it but everyone will know .
Let's say for example I practice a weird habit such as thumb sucking and I love to join a "Thumb suckers" group on facebook but If I do that then all my friends ,my relatives , my ex-gf who added me on facebook will see the event : Samer Joined the Thumb suckers group!! This shared events log is obviously against privacy .

7-Communication?
Facebook fans say that facebook is a good tool of communication and make planning much easier , well I don't see how this can be easier than MSN , email and phone .

8- it aslo kills the Interest of meeting someone new because you already know everything about the person and this kills the fun of interaction , let's say I liked a girl with few clicks I can easily know all her interest and what she did yesterday without even talking and interacting with her and this kills the fun.

9- Waste of Time
Facebook is a great waster of time and it can become a stupid addiction .

10- Boring
this is a too personal opinion but I find it boring like all other social network sites

Last edited by LePetitPrince on 01 Jun 2007, 12:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

01 Jun 2007, 1:20 am

Re: showing off and old friends. I agree 100%.

Facebook and Myspace are primarily for people who are highly social and play by rules that would seem fairly ridiculous to you and I. I've never made an account, for pretty much the same reason I wouldn't pack up and move to downtown Tehran.

SoupChef
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2007, 7:47 am

Facebook seems pretty dumb to me. I agree, it's for highly social people. Which I am not.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Jun 2007, 11:48 am

ive never even heard of facebook or ih5 8O
shows how much im intodays world, i have a myspace though. my sister and some guy named bren are the only people that talk to me :D

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 12:12 pm

funny , i posted the same thread in a NT forum and mostly everyone seem to got offended by it as if this thread was a personal attack against them which is not .

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 5:55 pm

this thread is too young to die :P

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

01 Jun 2007, 5:56 pm

listen!! if you dont like it why do you get on it so much son?

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 6:17 pm

I have a Myspace but I rarely update it anyway.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 6:29 pm

I don't believe in such websites.

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2007, 6:40 pm

richardbenson wrote:
listen!! if you dont like it why do you get on it so much son?

just logged less than 10 times so far...much much less than others who log 10 times daily

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 7:04 am

Myspace is shyt.

I was constantly pestered to get one though.

I've put a simple background, with 30 friends and rarely go on it. I only go it to delete crappy email messages, rude comments, and to deny friend requests from complete and utter strangers.

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2007, 10:12 am

Tried both myspace and facebook,they bored me.