Raven
Raven

25 Aug 2017, 10:48 am

ever had surgery if so what was it like please share

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 10:51 am

Gee whiz, Mikie! Soon you are going to overtake my own post count :D .

I have never had surgery, but I know people who have. It's not too scary or anything.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

autism1022
Raven
Raven

25 Aug 2017, 10:52 am

StampySquiddyFan wrote:

I have never had surgery, but I know people who have. It's not too scary or anything.

im sorry i love posting

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2017, 11:08 am

autism1022 wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:

im sorry i love posting

That's great :D ! I love posting as well.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2017, 11:06 pm

to answer the OP's question, I have been on both sides of the situation, as an operating room surgical technician as well as a patient. I can tell you it is much better to be the former than the latter. last surgery I had was when a deer decided to knock me off my bike as I was riding in the hills near my home. landed in a heap, in a pool of my own blood. 2 busted arms and many contusions and bloody gouges. ended up in the ER, operated to surgically reduce a compound fracture of my left elbow, binding of greenstick in the right arm as well. I told the CRNA that I needed to be well-anaesthetized and well-numbed after I landed in the recovery room, and bless his heart :heart: he did so. during surgery I had a fever dream where I was in a warm bright place, perhaps an outer neighborhood of heaven, I was flying in the bright clouds without a care in the world, those would return with a vengeance once I was conscious again in a few hours. I have no memories of the time I was wheeled down the hallway to the surgical suite, all the way up to me being back in my room. I was hooked up to a PCA [Patient Controlled Analgesia] pump, every 10 minutes [for the first few hours, then every hour] I could dose myself with the good juice. I used that for all it was worth. also was told to BREATHE! repeatedly those first few hours. I took it upon myself to try to get up and walk every few minutes to get my strength back but I was weak for weeks afterward. my incisions took about 3 weeks to heal, I was both sutured and stapled, with dissolving sutures and the staples had to be removed 3 weeks later, an unpleasant process that left me feeling queasy. the physical therapy afterwards took it out of me pretty good, left me sweaty and exhausted and in pain. but it was essential to regaining function. I never want to go through that again! :o

SentientPotato
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 12:10 am

Only once for a ruptured appendix. All I remember is being wheeled out of the room where I was being prepped to go to surgery, and after that it's just blank until I woke up in the room recovering post-op. From that point I stayed in the hospital for another 6 days recovering since they put a drain on me to get rid of whatever residual junk they couldn't get out, plus they had to monitor me to make sure there wouldn't be any complications that could arise.

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2017, 5:41 am

2 cecerians and my wisdom teeth.
The cecerians were cool because I was awake. During the first the spinal tap was lower than it should have been and I wasn't as nunb as the second time. I never felt pain, but could feel the pressure of them cutting through the layers- like scissors on thick fabric. It made me nervouse that they might hit a layer I would feel but they didn't. It was kinda cool looking back.
With my teeth I was knocked out. It was strange counting backward and waking up. I thought I lost count but the surgery was over.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2017, 6:23 am

One bike accident as a kid and a few years ago i had dental surgery to remove a troublesome tooth that had 4 roots.

Got an infection after the first one so i had to eat some AB for it.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 6:27 pm

No. I've actually been worrying about this. I did damage to my heart after a suicide attempt. I'm worried that if I needed surgery that my blood pressure wouldnt be good enough to heal. The littlest scratch will take forever to heal on me and sometimes will get infected. So yeah I worry.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 6:56 pm

^^^gosh :o I hope you eventually heal from that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 7:00 pm

Tongue flap surgery twice for cancer. Half my tongue was replaced by skin from my arm and leg. Also, a trach put in so I could be fed. It lasted 10-12 hours

The surgery itself was no problem as I was under general anethesia.

Afterwards, I was very constricted with all the tubes.

The catheter had to be put back in several times before I could pee. I Taking out a catheter is extremely uncomfortable because it is so sensitive down there.

Because of being inactive and all the pain meds constipation was a big problem. Over a week without a bowel movement is very uncomfortable.

They had me up out of bed the next day. Even though I was only off my feet for a day or two I was very unsteady and needed a couple of months to get back where I was.

Most of you will not have surgery so major so the after effects will not be as severe.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 8:58 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Well I had a few tests done and they said I was fine. But my chest feels tight and circulation not as good. I think it was an artery or something screwed up from intentionaly breathing wrong for 5 years. It just doesnt feel right in there.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2017, 9:02 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Well I had a few tests done and they said I was fine. But my chest feels tight and circulation not as good. I think it was an artery or something screwed up from intentionaly breathing wrong for 5 years. It just doesnt feel right in there.

hope it's nothing like pulmonary hypertension.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 10:20 am

I've had several. I didn't care about any of the surgeries. Just nothing. I wasn't scared, refused painkillers and felt no pain (which freaked the doctors out, as it was major abdominal surgery and I was chronically ill). All I felt was frustration at being in the hospital, because it was too loud, couldn't sleep because of the noise, there were fluorescent lights, nurses "check" you every 15 minutes and people were touching me, and it was too exposed and I had no privacy.
I just kept asking when I could leave.
The surgeries were fine, no problems.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 10:50 am

auntblabby wrote:
Sarahsmith wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

hope it's nothing like pulmonary hypertension.

I hope so too. There's no swelling in my hands and feet but last night I could barely catch my breath and all I was just doing was laying there. Not a good sign.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2017, 6:18 pm

5 orthopedic surgeries to remove various bone tumors caused by a genetic disease I have and 1 wisdom tooth removal surgery. I'm having a 6th orthopedic surgery to remove more tumors in October.

The only part that bothered me was inserting the IV's (needle phobia) and the antibiotics they give through my IV before surgery which burn. I just now have them do both once im already unconcious now instead.

Dental surgery was enjoyable because they used laughing gas.