First thing that comes to mind when you think of the 1970s

Page 4 of 13 [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 9:15 am

The Brady Bunch and KISS.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 9:25 am

The Godfather

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 10:46 am

I read the other day that Sea-Monkeys were first created in the late 50's, after ant farms became popular. But because of those comic book ads they're more of a 70's thing to me. :)

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 10:54 am

Early success of synthesizers.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 11:37 am

Live and let die

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2017, 11:54 am

When I was 12, in 1973, I used to run home from school to watch "Emergency!" and "The Brady Bunch" every day.

After Magilla Gorilla.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2017, 5:58 pm

All of the above television shows and music mentioned

Being aware, for the first time, I was different from others

1979-My cat, Samantha, was born.

fiber bundle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Oct 2017, 8:49 pm

Unix

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 8:40 am

Hilltop Coca-Cola commercial

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 2:56 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
0regonGuy wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
High School In 1970 Vs 2015. This Is So Accurate It Hurts.

Scenario 1: Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1970 — Vice Principal comes over, looks a Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack...

2015 — School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1970 — Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2015 — Police called and SWAT team arrives they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3: Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1970 — Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good shouting by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2015 — Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD... The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives screams at him.

1970 — Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2015 — Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison.. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1970 — Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock..

2015 — The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations... His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6: Pedro fails high school English.

1970 — Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2015 — Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist.. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher.. English is then banned from core curriculum.. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red ant bed.

1970 — Ants die.

2015 — ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism.. The FBI investigates his parents —and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1970 — In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2015 — Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy

I think the examples are a little ridicules. But for the record, Scenario 1. There may have been a time when that could happen, but not in the 1970s. Guns were banned from school campuses in the 1970s. So in that case the student and the Vice Principal would both have been suspended. Though law enforcement would not have been involved, and there would have certainly been no lock down, since that concept didn't exist.

Scenario 3. I had that happen to me many times. I was not allowed to return to class at that time, and I was always given after-school detention for it. Corporal punishment was also a possibility, though somehow or other I always avoided that. Same would have probably been true for Scenario 2.

Scenario 5. A student would not have been sharing aspirin with the Principal on the smoking dock. The high school I went to had a smoking dock, but that was for students. The Principal would have been in his office and he would have likely gotten his aspirin from the school nurse. Searching student's cars and lockers for drugs and weapons was common. But I don't believe bringing aspirin to school would have been a problem.

I agree that the posts were exaggerated but the basic point bieng made is correct. With the guns I was thinking maybe that was true in rural areas.

The only reason you and the principle would interact was if you were in trouble. There was more of a demarkation between adults and “youths” then. In general adults were an authority not your friend. They did not dress, act or listen to the same music as you.

Not even in rural areas. First remember that in the 1970s guns were nowhere near as popular as they are today. People had basic hunting rifles and shotguns. The police had 38 Specials and nothing else. Richard Nixon was pushing to ban all privately owned handguns. People didn't go around bragging about or showing off their guns. There was nothing to brag about. The guns were just basic stuff. Guns were not something people talked about in the 1970s. At least not in a positive way. The current gun culture in the US developed after that.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 3:06 pm

American Pie (Song by Don McLean)

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 3:18 pm

fiber bundle wrote:
Unix

You had to be a really serious geek to know what Unix was in the 1970s, or work for AT&T Bell Labs. They were about the only ones using Unix at that time. Operating systems weren't really a thing for most people until the end of the 1970s.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 4:06 pm

Computer programs in the 1970s.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2017, 4:48 pm

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 3:01 pm

Smiley faces, wishing you to "have a nice day". :)

Now it should more like more like "have a day". :|

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2017, 7:39 pm

People used the words "mellow" and "intense" a lot.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman