Page 11 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 6:54 am

A "Long Islander" is someone from Nassau/Suffolk County, not someone from Queens/Brooklyn--even though Queens/Brooklyn is actually ON Long Island.

Trauma is "trah-ma" to me. Rhymes with drama.

A "beverage" is a drink. Nobody ever calls a non-alcoholic drink a "beverage" in everyday speech, though it is referred to as such within menus. Sometimes, people refer to alcoholic drinks as "beverages" in order to appear elegant. The drunker a person is, the more likely he/she will use "beverage."

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 9:38 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A "beverage" is a drink. Nobody ever calls a non-alcoholic drink a "beverage" in everyday speech

In the UK you would either ask for a 'drink' or a 'soft drink'

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 9:56 am

Ichinin wrote:
Basic English whenever you speak with someone, if i speak with a Britt, i can say "Sarney" instead of "Sandwich", but everyone isn't from the area where those localized words are, i.e. "Soda" can be called "pop", "lemonade" or even "cooling drink" depending on where you are in the states, Australia have different words as well. So when you go somewhere, go with basic English and "feel your way around" by listening to people and adapt.

Before I started saying "soda", I used to say "pop" all the time when I lived up north. That is until I moved down to Texas... :lol:

-LegoMaster2149 (Written on November 15, 2017)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 10:02 am

In NYC, a carbonated drink is always called a "soda." Sometimes, old folks call it "soda pop." Sometimes, "coke" is used for any brown-colored carbonated drink.

It's only "orange juice" if it's pure "orange juice." Otherwise, it would be called an "orange drink."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 10:21 am

Biscuitman wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
A "beverage" is a drink. Nobody ever calls a non-alcoholic drink a "beverage" in everyday speech

In the UK you would either ask for a 'drink' or a 'soft drink'

Same thing here in the US.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 1:00 pm

^^ "Tipple" seems to still be quite common around here in Yorkshire, as in "what's your tipple?" to ask what drink someone would like (usually meaning alcoholic, but not always.)

caffeinekid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2017, 2:01 pm

fizzy pop - carbonated soda
dilute pop - erm not sure if you have that. lol