Page 2 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 8:02 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
Yes, it's in error, but an awful lot of people DO call sticky tape "sellotape" and a tannoy a tannoy. There I just did it too. Is it just killing you inside and has it ruined your day?

Talk about pedantic.

Get the f**k over it. Not all people use brand names for things but an awful lot of people do, and most people understand what they mean.

One of us certainly needs to get over it.....

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2017, 9:26 am

underwater wrote:
What's a pram in American?

A small rowboat. My dad made one, and we used it for fishing.

Michael829

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 9:33 am

hurtloam wrote:
I've adapted a few ecommerce plugins for websites and my biggest bugbear is having to change all of the references to cart into basket.

Tip for the future: Get notepad++ (free, open source), open said plugin in it and press ctrl+h, check 'replace all' and 'match case'. Voila, done quick and easy.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 9:46 am

Tip for the future: If your dev tools don't include a find and replace feature, get better tools.

Michael829
Toucan
Toucan

01 Oct 2017, 9:48 am

I've never understood "dinner" vs "supper" in England.

In the U.S., they're synonymous.

When I was visiting my mom and British stepdad in London, the phone rang in Alan's bookroom (He was an antiquarian bookseller), and someone asked if he was there, and then asked when he'd return.

I said that I didn't know, but that he'd surely be back at dinner.

The guy said, "Dinner???! !"

I quickly said, "Supper", hoping that was the right word.

And, Mr. Chichikov, how big a deal is it really if a significant number of people use a word contrary to some "official" standard. If usages didn't change, then you might be speaking Chaucerian. Going back to the hypothetically-inferred Proto-Indo-European, and before, one reason why languages diversified was because each generation wanted to use new usages.

In one of the Nero Wolfe stories, someone in Wolfe's office says to him, "You fat pig, I never should have contacted you!"

The narrator, Archie Goodwin says something like, "Wolfe was moving his little finger in quarter-inch circles on the arm of his chair. That man had just made an enemy for life--He'd used "contact" as a verb."

I used to dislike "access" as a verb. But why shouldn't it be used as one?

Chichikov, we have enough flamewarrior-behavior at Politics, Philosophy & Religion. Let's not bring it here too, ok?

Alright, one thing I'll never accept: The double-is: "The thing is-is..."

Michael829

Michael829

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 10:01 am

Aristophanes wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
I've adapted a few ecommerce plugins for websites and my biggest bugbear is having to change all of the references to cart into basket.

Tip for the future: Get notepad++ (free, open source), open said plugin in it and press ctrl+h, check 'replace all' and 'match case'. Voila, done quick and easy.

I do use find and replace. It's still a little irritating though. Not the end of the world, but irritating.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 10:43 am

Chichikov wrote:
Tip for the future: If your dev tools don't include a find and replace feature, get better tools.

Notepad++ is still useful outside of an IDE because you can isolate the code from the project, as well as temporarily store working code. Most IDE's will have a scratch document, but those are cumbersome and generally not as efficient as Notepad++, especially in mass replace scenarios where one has to mess with options to isolate a single file from a project wide search. The isolation alone makes it worthwhile because it reduces human error, namely not checking the correct options and replacing in unintended documents. I've seen human error make a simple replace procedure turn into hours long bug check fests. That's why I recommend it for this purpose and this purpose alone, and in my last programming job it was mandatory for that purpose (that's where the last sentence comes into play as well).

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 10:50 am

Michael829 wrote:
Chichikov, we have enough flamewarrior-behavior at Politics, Philosophy & Religion. Let's not bring it here too, ok?

All I did was correct someone and for that I was attacked, sworn at and called names. And you're calling *me* a flamewarrior? Go troll somewhere else.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 11:16 am

babybird wrote:
I don't know if anyones already said this but in the UK we are more inclined to say "bus" if we are just going into town shopping and "coach" for a more long haul journey.

Correct me if Im wrong but I think it might always be a "bus" no matter what in America.

It is usually bus but I have heard coach for a more fancy bus for long distant trips

You reminded me.

UK: Public Transport
US: Public Transportation

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

Chichikov wrote:
Michael829 wrote:

All I did was correct someone and for that I was attacked, sworn at and called names. And you're calling *me* a flamewarrior? Go troll somewhere else.

It's probably an amalgam of previous experience that led the poster to that conclusion that you're trolling. I'm more sympathetic, I think it's the either/or, correct/incorrect, black/white autism thinking coming through here on your part (the same autistic deficits I suffer from, hence the reason I notice it as such and am sympathetic in this case). The posters in this thread are interested in the difference between the languages, not what's correct/incorrect, and so our type of thinking is not appreciated here. I recommend moving on from this one and let them continue their discussion in peace as I am.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Oct 2017, 5:48 pm

Oh yes, I'm quick to notice British spellings of word, and drawing comparison with their American counterparts.

I'm quick to note words such as; colour, harbour, and favourable; as the American versions (the only primarily English speaking country in the world) drop the 'u' -- hence spellings; color, harbor, favorable.

Other words of note; organise, realise. The American versions replace the 's' with a 'z' - hence words organize, realize. The British word licence Americanized is spelled 'license.' I ocassionally see the British word 'center' spelled 'centre' here on signs in the US.

Could comparing British versions of words with their American counterparts be an Aspergers trait?

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 5:54 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
The posters in this thread are interested in the difference between the languages, not what's correct/incorrect

I can't stand by while people are wrong on the internet.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 6:11 pm

As long as people can understand what I'm going on about it's all good.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 6:47 pm

We were taught more British English in school, but I am so much more used to hearing and reading American English that I tend to find British expressions to be more confusing than American ones. Some years ago I came across "cotton on" in a book, and though I understood due to the context, it took me some seconds to guess, and I only felt absolutely sure once I had encountered it twice and was confident I had gotten it right.

hurtloam wrote:
SilentJessica wrote:
Australia has some of the same words and terminology, and I have confused some Americans I have texted with these:

"That's okay" instead of "you're welcome" when they thanked me for something.
* "Chips" instead of "fries".
* "Singlet" instead of "tank" (they had to ask me what a singlet was).
* "Tea" instead of "dinner".
* "Powerpoint" instead of "outlet". I had to send a photo and say "this thing".
* When I said something about my "neighbour" once, someone said "you mean your neighbor?"

To make it easier, I usually use the same words they use unless it feels too wrong to.

For a couple of seconds there I thought that Microsoft PowerPoint was called Microsoft Outlet in Australia.

Glad I wasn't the only one! :lol:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2017, 8:59 pm

Can I bum a fag off you? is an polite informal way of asking someone for a free cigarette.
Do you mind if I bum a fag? is also commonly heard.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2017, 5:20 am

Chichikov wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
Yes, it's in error, but an awful lot of people DO call sticky tape "sellotape" and a tannoy a tannoy. There I just did it too. Is it just killing you inside and has it ruined your day?

Talk about pedantic.

Get the f**k over it. Not all people use brand names for things but an awful lot of people do, and most people understand what they mean.

One of us certainly needs to get over it.....

"Sellotape"?

?Is that what we Americans call "Scotch Tape" (which is also an incorrect usage of a brand name for a generic thing, in fact I don't even know what the generic term for clear general purpose sticky tape is).